XFX GTX 260 Heat?

bounce

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I just got done playing the first few parts of FarCry2 on my XFX GTX 260 Core 216, spent around 30 minutes or so playing.

The temp on the GPU stated 72 C, and I had one Core around 30-32 I don't remember, but then right under that core it said Core 72C

Which core is overheating??

My laptop didn't go into such detail when using SpeedFan so I'm not sure what all the

Temp1
Temp2
Temp3

etc means.

Is 72C with stock air cooling ok?

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Screw SpeedFan. Use HWMonitor from CPUID.com to watch temps properly. It will report the current, maximum, and the minimum temps of the GPU.

72C peak is not a bad max temp, but it's getting a little on the hotter side of things. While you would likely benefit from an increase in the card's fan speed, it isn't truly necessary. But, it certainly wouldn't hurt any to bump the fan speed up a little, especially if it's running at 30% or so by default.

If you're looking for an all-in-one solution for fan speed control, temp monitoring, and over-clocking, try either RivaTuner or eVGA's Precision. (Precision will work with nVIDIA cards built by other manufacturers.)

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I would recommend trying the EVGA precision overclocking utilty. Even if you do not overclock, it will allow to you both check the temperature on your gtx 260 and also adjust your fan speed. The 260 has a standard fan speed of 40%. You could boost this to 60-80% to drop your temps considerably. By the way, unless your card is getting past 90's, its not going to hurt your card.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
By the way, you don't need to have and evga card to use that utility. I have 2 xfx gtx 260's and it works flawlessly. It also helped drop my video card temps by 15 degrees