[Integrated CPU/GPU] Show me where to put my compound?

Ryutso

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
So I know on CPU's/GPU's you install yourself, there's a specific method to putting thermal compound on. But I have a bit of a different problem.

I've got an ASUS AT3IONT-I motherboard which has a built in CPU and nVIDIA ION GPU. I rigged it up outside of the case and turned it on and suddenly the stock thermal paste started smoking underneath the heat sink. So I unscrewed the heat sink and removed the paste through some isopropyl alcohol, but now I'm stuck.

NASSTl.jpg

That's the nVIDIA ION chip on the left and the dual-core Atom 330 on the right. Can anyone show me where I should put the new thermal compound, perhaps with some red lines?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yep, that's where the cooler will make contact. A tiny dot or thin line on each would work fine. Replace your heatsink...remove to check contact if you want.

BTW...thermal paste shouldn't 'smoke'. Are you sure it wasn't something else? Was it coming from directly underneath those coolers?

Ryutso

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

It was coming from directly under the heat sink and the only things under the heat sink was the stock thermal compound and some type of foam square around the ION chip.