I have been having trouble with my computer as of late. Hope someone here can help.
- Computer randomly gives me the blue memory dump screen.
- Figured it might have been some bad ram, replaced with new ram, does the same thing still.
- Figured a new hard drive couldn't hurt, and a fresh install of Vista may help. It didn't. Same symptoms.
- I know the video cards and sound card are fine, and generally don't have anything to do with this sort of thing. The last two things I think it can be is a bad motherboard (I've had it happen before) or a bad processor. I don't think it's the processor (doesn't crash under load). With my old bad motherboard, I experienced random lockups, random blue screens, and it wouldn't boot sometimes, same thing this does.
- Last thing, I've noticed when I go to install a new program sometimes, it will blue screen. Or if I open up the dvd drive, at that exact moment it will blue screen, but only sometimes. Motherboard or something else?
plasmeh is online now Add to plasmeh's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Did you test the old or new RAM? Memtest86+ is pretty good at finding RAM errors. Posting the complete computer specs will help a lot. Did you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS when you got the new RAM? BSOD's are often caused by RAM problems.
I agree that it could be the motherboard, but I would manually set the RAM settings and run memtest86+ overnight before you rule out the RAM as the cause. It is possible that the new RAM is faulty.