RAM bent over a few degrees due to CPU cooler..

dylan_m

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Hey quick question..

First of all, I just finished building my computer and it works great, thanks for all the advice :) The only thing is that when I installed the after market cpu cooler, the Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 Pro (I know it isn't a great one but it was only 16 bucks and is quieter than the stock cooler), because of its size, when installing it I had no other option but to allow it to bend a stick of ram slightly to the right. it's only a few degrees and isn't putting much pressure on the joint, but still I wonder if it could cause any damage to anything.. I was trying to use the blue sockets as the manual says (I only have two sticks of ram), but could moving then to the black sockets affect anything?

Just need some opinions thats all :)

Thanks

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No, RAM sticks in either slot will work. If you switch to the other sockets, it will still run in dual channel mode. Tom's did a comparison a while back on the myth of dual channel, single channel and alternate channels of RAM...absolutely no difference to us humans. :)

I'd say swap to your other set of matching slots to be safe. Performance will be unaffected.