Potential Newbie Overclocker

rekjl

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am planning to get the 2600k soon when I upgrade my com. I will be pairing it with the Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme cpu cooler and the HAF 912 advanced. What kind of overcclocked numbers do you think I might be able to get with it?

Two other questions, what is the highest OC anyone here has gotten for the 2600k, and what would you deem a good tempreture limit (one that should never be exceeded)?

Thank you very much in advance for any help you might be able to offer this newbie!

rekjl

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Thanks for that warm welcome and great feedback saint19!

Sorry, for the late reply. I will be using the HAF 912 Advanced and adding a side fan to it. But I guess I will need to look at the real time tempreture when everything is set up to get a good idea of what I will be capable of getting.

70c max, got it! Thanks for that.

WOW!! 5.8GHZ!!! Hehe suddenly thinking of the rendering times I could get is giving me goosebumps!

Haha again, thanks for the informative feedback!

rekjl

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Oh and another thing. I am planning of getting a MSI P67A-GD55 as a motherboard. Is there a limit to how much this motherboard will be able to allow me to overclock the 2600k?

I've heard that motherboards can affect how much you can overclock, so I am not too sure about what the scenarios might be if I get this mobo.

Hi again.

Be sure that cooler fit in your case, I'd try to go with something more bigger HAF 932 maybe, or 690 Advance II.

Regarding the mobo, I 'd go for ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI or EVGA in that order. What is the limit? As much as you can with good temps and without kill the chip.

rekjl

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Great, thanks saint19!

I've checked the details, and it looks like the Zalman will fit into the HAF 912. Haha it might look like a tight fit, but it should be able to get in without much problems.