Sign in with
Your question

Noob needs help on this custom built

Last response: in Systems
April 30, 2009 12:09:20 AM

Ok, I'm a newbie when it comes to pc's, that being said; I can't build my own and I want to buy this pc I found on craigslist. Please give me your input on this one:

Antec 900 case with a fan controller and modded side duct fan

Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 overclocked to 3.8 GHz (the stock speed is 3.0 GHz)

Gigabyte UD3P LGA 775 motherboard (p45 chipset)

Acer 24" Monitor (1920x1200 resolution, 2ms response time, no dead or stuck pixels)

2 ATI 4850 graphics cards in x8x8 Crossfire configuration (amazing CURRENT GENERATION graphics cards, together they power any game on a 24" monitor flawlessly)

4 gigs of ram (2x2) @ 845 / 5-5-5-15

250 GB SATA hard drive (16mb cache, 3.0 GB/s)

22x DVD/CD drive

Xigmatek S1283 cpu heatsink

OCZ 700 watt modular power supply

A fresh install of Vista Home Basic 64 bit (install disks included)

All the cables and wires for the computer and monitor, and an ethernet cable if you need one.

If you have any questions or need clarification about the parts, feel free to contact me.
This computer does not include speakers, a keyboard, or a mouse.

To give an example of this computers power, it can run Fallout 3 with max graphics and aa/af on a 24 inch monitor (1920x1200 resolution) flawlessly

I am selling this computer for 1600$, or best offer, with the monitor. If you want the computer but not the monitor i will sell it for 1400$
As a pricing comparison, a similar computer without any overclocking and worse graphics cards bought from Alienware would cost over 2200$. I am selling this overclocked bad boy for 1600$, more then 600$ less!

This system runs perfectly, and can flawlessly pass every stabality/stress test that i can throw at it:

Prime 95 stress test 12 hours

Memtest86+ 6 hours

Crysis benchmark loop

More about : noob custom built

a c 104 B Homebuilt system
April 30, 2009 1:05:50 AM

Wrong place to look for suckers.
April 30, 2009 2:03:14 AM

rolli59 said:
Wrong place to look for suckers.

um, I'm not looking for suckers, if you mean that its not worth it, thats all you had to say. :sleep: 
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 30, 2009 1:47:13 PM

You could build an i7 computer for $1400.

I just put an identical system as stated above on Newegg for $1270 and that was with ALL new parts and Vista 64bit Home Premium. And probably a few better parts since he doesn't specify brands.

Honestly, if you are looking at new systems right now, I would go with an i7, or Amd PII. No point in buying a highend system with yesterdays parts... ie, the LGA775 chips.
April 30, 2009 1:53:56 PM

Hah, ill build that same setup on newegg, Price will come out to be around a $800-$900 with monitor..

Sometimes i wish i had my own business to where people like you(not putting you down just stating that you can't build a pc) who don't know how to put computers together, can buy there PC, those parts are shipped to my company and the build is built, costing extra to overclock for the person, and installation of any windows is free.

Something i would do because theres millions of people doing the exact same thing he is doing.

a b B Homebuilt system
April 30, 2009 4:03:59 PM

^
I've build PC's for people and I charge them the cost of parts + a $150-$200 build fee depending on how elaborate they go. I always give them the cost of part and everything upfront. He should do the same.

Besides if you want a gaming rig and THAT is what he gave you.. he is either ripping you off or doesn't know a thing about what he is doing.
April 30, 2009 5:24:49 PM

Don't do it man....that price is not worth it!!!
a b B Homebuilt system
April 30, 2009 6:53:57 PM

It looks like a solid build, but way overpriced. You could get a nice i7 system as stated above for that price.
a c 104 B Homebuilt system
April 30, 2009 11:54:30 PM

OP!
First, what is the relation between the name of the post and the post?
Second, this forum has a category for DEALS/classifieds which is the correct place for things fs. under the correct name.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2009 3:33:37 AM

rolli59 said:
OP!
First, what is the relation between the name of the post and the post?
Second, this forum has a category for DEALS/classifieds which is the correct place for things fs. under the correct name.

This is the general home build section. The OP is asking for opinions of a custom build that he was looking at purchasing. This is the correct section for custom build reviews.
May 2, 2009 2:19:53 AM

aford10 said:
This is the general home build section. The OP is asking for opinions of a custom build that he was looking at purchasing. This is the correct section for custom build reviews.

Thanks for gettin' my back man. I'll let you all know that I'm not buying it, and thanx for all the great help! Looks like an i7 is in my near future...
a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2009 2:51:39 AM

Good choice. You will want to have ~$1500 to build a good i7 build. If you are going to have someone do it for you, you may want to tack on a little more to that total.
!