Closed Solved

Noctua NH-D14 better cooling....

I got my high-end CPU cooler installed on my mobo and noticed about a 7c to 10c drop in temp. So I was looking on line and saw a couple installation videos about it and noticed I had the center fan in backwards. I think it was different in the instructions. But I changed it to the way they installed it and my temp went up 4 to 5 c. I got them both blowing outward to a fan blowing outward and it keeps it at 32 c idle and overclocked to over 4.0Ghz it never gets above 51 c under any stress test or game. So turn you fans around and check it out. It is the middle and should be blowing towards the back of the machine like the other one is to a vent or exhaust fan.
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about noctua cooling
  1. I'm not sure I fully understand...is this a question, or a statement of the best solution for the cooling fan placement?

And yes, you typically would have the fan blowing either up, or back...depending on desired heat exhaust and case exhaust fans.
  2. Both fans should be facing the same direction. That's what they call a push-pull fan setup. Usually this means blowing air towards the back of the case.
  3. Both fans should blow toward rear of case, rotating HS to blow air up, tho contrary to logic (heat rises and all) will reduce temps by 2-3C.
  4. Note that some coolers shouldn't be rotated in that manner, depending on the design. Though I've only seen that kind of restriction on coolers like the NH-C14.
  5. It depends on the case, this won't work for every one, both fans need to be facing the same direction and blow air in the same direction; If you are using a rear exhaust fan like most people, point the side of the fan that spits air out there, if you have top exhaust fans, point the rear to the top, this is only possible on some motherboards; when there is an inch of space between the HS and the video card's PCB, or when you don't have a card at all.

The fans are supposed to be pointing in the same direction, I think you made a mistake in the first installation; making both fans blow at each other.
  6. I put some super high volume fans in for intake and exhaust and the temps dropped 5c just from that. It still hits 54c on some benchmark test, but some say that is normal when it is overclocked to 4033Mhz. Glad it is in another room no one goes into. The way the fans clip on make it impossible to get it the way I would like it to. Pull air through the fins all the way to my exhaust case fan. One has to be going the other direction to clip on, or mount them on the inside over the RAM and then the center.
  7. Best answer
    pjmoses said:
    I put some super high volume fans in for intake and exhaust and the temps dropped 5c just from that. It still hits 54c on some benchmark test, but some say that is normal when it is overclocked to 4033Mhz. Glad it is in another room no one goes into. The way the fans clip on make it impossible to get it the way I would like it to. Pull air through the fins all the way to my exhaust case fan. One has to be going the other direction to clip on, or mount them on the inside over the RAM and then the center.

All you have to do is swap the clips to the other side of the 120mm fan and use it on the backside of the Noctua pulling instead of pushing air, there is no impossible, it just first glance looks impossible.

The truly awesome feature of the NH-D14 is it will cool with just case airflow and no active fans installed, not as efficient or as high a performance as with the fans, but it can be used as a passive cooler.

Anyhow I moved my 120mm fan to the backside of mine by swapping the clips, just be careful and study how they're installed and try not to damage the clips removing them from the retaining pins, it's a piece of cake actually.
  8. The NH-D14 beats the Zalman CNPS9900Max by less than 4 degrees yet the 9900max is tiny, light and better looking, I just discovered this and it's making the NH-D14 look like a fail
  9. Quote:
    The NH-D14 beats the Zalman CNPS9900Max by less than 4 degrees yet the 9900max is tiny, light and better looking, I just discovered this and it's making the NH-D14 look like a fail

Yep the Zalman is a good cooler but how good does it cool when or if the non user-replaceable fan dies!
  10. Quote:
    The NH-D14 beats the Zalman CNPS9900Max by less than 4 degrees yet the 9900max is tiny, light and better looking, I just discovered this and it's making the NH-D14 look like a fail

"The NH-D14 beats the Zalman CNPS9900Max by less than 4 degrees", I think the key word there is beats!

No offense to you, but from your own words, how is that a fail?
  11. 4Ryan6 said:
    "The NH-D14 beats the Zalman CNPS9900Max by less than 4 degrees", I think the key word there is beats!

No offense to you, but from your own words, how is that a fail?

Nearly the same performance at nearly half the cost and less than half the size and about the non replaceable fans, they are long life fans, 5 year fan life and long warranty/ by fail I mean that huge size for only 4 degrees more, even with the money I'd get the Zalman as 4 degrees don't make a difference.
  12. Quote:
    Nearly the same performance at nearly half the cost and less than half the size and about the non replaceable fans, they are long life fans, 5 year fan life and long warranty/ by fail I mean that huge size for only 4 degrees more, even with the money I'd get the Zalman as 4 degrees don't make a difference.

First off I did not comment about the Zalman fans.

4C will definitely make a difference to some overclockers, it may be just enough to keep a stress test in the load temperature zone for the CPU voltage being used.

4C is actually 39.2F now if we were talking the Fahrenheit scale 4F don't make a difference and I'd agree with you, but we're not.

The NH-D14 is huge, so huge in fact I can shut down the cooling fans and it still cools the CPU from case airflow, try doing that with the Zalman.

Now if you'll take the time to look back over this thread, including the title to the thread, you'll discover the OP already owns the NH-D14, he wasn't asking for purchasing advice.
  13. Noctua is to be commended for embossing upon the outer fan shroud, arrows showing the direction of the fan rotation, and the direction of the airflow. Few manufacturers do this.
  14. 4Ryan6 said:
    First off I did not comment about the Zalman fans.

4C will definitely make a difference to some overclockers, it may be just enough to keep a stress test in the load temperature zone for the CPU voltage being used.

4C is actually 39.2F now if we were talking the Fahrenheit scale 4F don't make a difference and I'd agree with you, but we're not.

The NH-D14 is huge, so huge in fact I can shut down the cooling fans and it still cools the CPU from case airflow, try doing that with the Zalman.

Now if you'll take the time to look back over this thread, including the title to the thread, you'll discover the OP already owns the NH-D14, he wasn't asking for purchasing advice.

I never asked him to buy it, I'm just sayin', and that's pretty bad logic IMO,

not to mention that 4 Degrees Celsius do NOT at all matter and the difference is actually much less, some time's it's equal or only 2 Degrees away, I just said 4 as in the worst cases.

The degree Celsius is different the the Fahrenheit. 4 Degrees Celsius is NOT 39F!!!

They are different scales, there is no 39 degree difference, you converted wrong, you can only do that when they are the same size yet on different scales, but they are not the same unit size, that conversion can only be done when they are the same size like the Kelvin, 4C is 277K, (273+4)
    The fixed points are also different, 0C is 32F;

40C is 104F

44C is 111F

The difference is actually 7F not 39F, I'm 14 years old and I know that, Physics dude and Math too, didn't you learn that at school? LOL
  15. Best answer selected by pjmoses.
  16. Well just to let you know, with all this fan changing the temps got to getting hotter and hotter so I thought I might have messed the heatsink up, so I removed it while still warm and the darn thing pulled my processor out with it. I got lucky none of the pins were pulled out. Replaced the fans direction, though they both clip on the back vents, and straight out an exhaust fan that is running over 100 cfm. It ain't quiet, but it idle at 32 to 34c, and under stress test never goes over 52c. Now I have a cooler that is running great at 4.2Ghz. Almost a full Ghz over stock on recommended voltage. This cooler is for real, folks.
  17. A few pics of my situation, luckily my case came with 2 HDD carriages which allowed me to use one as an airflow tunnel feeding the Noctua.

Just showing these as reference for anyone else buying a Noctua and encountering similar situations.
  18. Quote:
    I never asked him to buy it, I'm just sayin', and that's pretty bad logic IMO,

not to mention that 4 Degrees Celsius do NOT at all matter and the difference is actually much less, some time's it's equal or only 2 Degrees away, I just said 4 as in the worst cases.

The degree Celsius is different the the Fahrenheit. 4 Degrees Celsius is NOT 39F!!!

They are different scales, there is no 39 degree difference, you converted wrong, you can only do that when they are the same size yet on different scales, but they are not the same unit size, that conversion can only be done when they are the same size like the Kelvin, 4C is 277K, (273+4)
    The fixed points are also different, 0C is 32F;

40C is 104F

44C is 111F

The difference is actually 7F not 39F, I'm 14 years old and I know that, Physics dude and Math too, didn't you learn that at school? LOL

Your difference is correct I stand corrected, I did not take into consideration that 0c and 32f is the same so 39.2 -32 = 7 difference, that still doesn't change the fact you've posted completely off what this thread is all about.

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

You completely sidestepped I did not say anything to you regarding the Zalman fans.

Your attitude is not appreciated, you jump in a Noctua thread pushing your Zalman suggestion, which basically puts you throwing the thread off topic, which is a violation of THGF Rules of Conduct, so Mr. 14yr old, I suggest you just move on from here, to some other thread and stay on topic! 4ryan6
  19. 4 degree difference is when the cpu is idle,
    while the cpu is under load the temperature difference go as high as 16 degrees,
    you can check the reviews done by TTL on Youtube,he is a guy that did a lot of objective reviews.

btw the Noctua is by far the best( also the quietest)air cooler in the world.
  20. This topic has been closed by 4ryan6
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cooling Fan Overclocking