Ordering a first SSD tomorrow, couple questions...

alexjbriggs

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Hello all! Ordering a few new parts tomorrow. This will include my first SSD, finally. I have been reading numerous articles about things to do with your first SSD. Found a lot of great info so far.

My question is, before i place the order, i'd like to make sure that this SSD looks good for my use and with my setup. Also, would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for things I should do when I receive my SSD, based on my specific specs. I've read a few things about disabling page filing, etc.

I will be doing a clean install of my Win 7 Pro 64-bit on this SSD, and only installing OS, Photoshop CS5, Flash CS5, as well as storing all of my CS5 documents on here.

Other uses of mine besides these two programs are moderate-heavy gaming, web browsing, some video encoding and editing, multimedia, and also watch tv with my tv tuner.

Any suggestions/insight or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Upgrading Tomorrow:
• 4GB more of same RAM listed below for 8GB total
Cooler Master V6 GT CPU Cooler
Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB SATA III 6GB/s SSD
• Still deciding between 3 (or more) cards. Also looking for insight on new video card in this thread here

Current Specs:
• AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Hexa-Core CPU
• 4GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series
• ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
• XFX Radeon HD 5670 512MB 128-bit DDR5
• Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
• HP Blu-ray BD-R DL DVD Burner
• Lite-On 24X DL DVD Burner w/ LightScribe
• XCLIO A380COLOR - 256 Color Changing LED Full Tower
• Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler
• Sunbeam 780W ATX 12V 2.3 Modular Active PFC Power Supply
• Genuine Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit System Builder OEM
• 46” HD 1080p 120hz Samsung LCD TV via HDMI

Thanks guys!

Go for the maximum capacity SSD you can afford.. The OCZ Vertex2 120GB is my recommendation.. Video editing can also benefit from the SSD if you have to source file in it.. Rest all looks good.. The V6GT is very loud if you don't already know it.. The Corsair A70 can give you the same cooling performance at more silent levels..

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I have that same SSD on a 890 board with SATA III and love it. As long as 64g is enough for your storage needs, and you aren't planning on moving data on/off of it, I feel it is a good choice for you. Why not utilize Sata III when you've got it?

Be sure your SSD has a SandForce controller. OCZ Agility 2 or Vertex 2 are good storage options. Cricial makes good SSDs but not as fast as others.

Crucial (the one in your link)
Sequential Access - Read:up to 355MB/s
Sequential Access - Write:up to 75MB/s

OCZ (Vertex 2 120GB)
Sequential Access - Read: up to 285MB/s
Sequential Access - Write: up to 275MB/s

IMHO anything under 90 GB will be too small if you plan on installing those Adobe products and then some games. You may be better off with a 120 GB or higher (..or as much as you can afford).

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
LMAO..

when i found this break down of ssd i knew i had to share it..

Being an author I understand the hard work that goes into writing.
You should give credit to the person who originally wrote it and/or share the link you copied it from.

I agree this should be in a sticky.