Work Station and Gaming Computer

mvitello

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I want to build a new computer that will be used as a workstation/gaming computer. I've decided that I want to use a dual LGA 1366 setup. I need to find a motherboard that will support 2 I7 CPU's. It also needs to use DDR3 2000mhz memory that will support at least 12 gigs of ram and support SLI or crossfire. I've looked as several board but haven't found anything that will work for me. Any help would be very appreciated.

Any server board won't support ddr3 2000 memory. It will run at the default memory speed. The asus Z8NA-DC6 ($259.99 at newegg) might work for you. It will fit in a standard atx case, unlike some server boards that are oversized. And checkout the combo deals with it. Server boards aren't designed for overclocking, so higher memory speed would be a waste of money. I assemble server systems at Dell, and they still use ddr2 5300 in most of their rack mounted systems.

mvitello

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Thanks! I actually have already looked at the ASAS Z8NA-DC 6 a few days ago. Even calling Asus wasn't much help. It looks like I might just have to settle for 1 processor and just use the Asus Rampage II Extreme motherboard. It has everything I want except 2 processor. I'm sure I build a great machine off of that board. I just wanted to try and build an extreme gaming machine using 2 processors.