Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cases
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 11, 2011 8:27:16 PM

Hi Community,

I have the possible case of an overheating CPU. I have recently built a new computer. I am using the motherboard's temp monitoring utility and it is showing temps of 42-45 at very light internet use like reading this site. The relevant parts of my system as follows:

AMD Phenom IIX2555BE running w/o overclocking fitted with a cpu cooler fan that came with it in the box. I have not unlocked other cores.
Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H
Case fan is an Arctic F12 blowing inwards and situated at the top of the case. It is a 12cm device.

The utility I am using to check temps is Gigabyte's EasyTune6 build 2010.05.16. The CPU fan is running at 2319 rpm and case fan at 1584rpm.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

More about : amd phenom ii555be running hot

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2011 9:54:49 AM

First i need your case brand and model... from what i can deduce you have a fan at the top of the case blowing inward which is totally wrong... top fan must and should only exhaust... intakes should be at the front, side and bottom...

whats your ambient temp??? do you have any other heat producing source like graphics card???
February 12, 2011 12:35:20 PM

the "normal" temperatures for that CPU should be 22-29c + in 70oF room, stock CPU cooler at 3000rpm

in your case i would say, maybe
improperly seated cpu heatsink,
forgot to remove sticker from bottom of heatsink when installing.
Used bad thermal paste, or not at all or even something that not supposed go there all together.
Something got under the heatsink when installing ( like spare bolt).

In any case i would remove CPU cooler examine, clean and apply fresh thermal paste.
make sure nothing blocking CPU fan as well and that it works as intended

Also make sure your cpu is not actually working at 100% , some bad Processes not running or mallware that can make cpu run full speed because 40-45c is what i get when my cpu works at max
Related resources
February 12, 2011 1:57:22 PM

abully said:
First i need your case brand and model... from what i can deduce you have a fan at the top of the case blowing inward which is totally wrong... top fan must and should only exhaust... intakes should be at the front, side and bottom...

whats your ambient temp??? do you have any other heat producing source like graphics card???

Ambient temp is about 23C. I don't have specifics on the case as it came with the computer I bought in 2003 from Mesh Computers in the UK. At the time the computer housed a single core low power CPU (an AMD). I have never had problems with cooling but then I have never had a monitoring programme to show me what is going on. I forgot to mention in my original piece that I removed the thermal paste that came with the stock cooler and have used Arctic Silver 5 yesterday. I believe it has a long break in period. But still I thought straight of the bat I should get lower temps with AS5 than stock. With the stock paste I was getting same readings.

I used a cassette deck tape head cleaning fluid which I believe is isopropyl alcohol mostly and a lint free cloth to do the removal work on both the CPU housing and the coolers flat surface. The CPU looked clean but the cooler left a bluish tinge which would not come off although it felt clean to the 'touch'. Even used a soft brush to clean the cooler flat surface.
February 12, 2011 1:58:37 PM

abully said:

Sorry. Forgot to mention that there is no graphics card as the Gigabyte mobo I use has an onboard graphics capability which is adequate for my purpose.
February 12, 2011 2:03:06 PM

duxducis said:
the "normal" temperatures for that CPU should be 22-29c + in 70oF room, stock CPU cooler at 3000rpm

in your case i would say, maybe
improperly seated cpu heatsink,
forgot to remove sticker from bottom of heatsink when installing.
Used bad thermal paste, or not at all or even something that not supposed go there all together.
Something got under the heatsink when installing ( like spare bolt).

In any case i would remove CPU cooler examine, clean and apply fresh thermal paste.
make sure nothing blocking CPU fan as well and that it works as intended

Also make sure your cpu is not actually working at 100% , some bad Processes not running or mallware that can make cpu run full speed because 40-45c is what i get when my cpu works at max

The CPU cooler is properly mounted. I have checked that. Also, the stock thermal paste that came with the CPU was removed with isopropyl alcohol and replaced with Arctic Silver 5 yesterday. I was getting the same temp redings with the stock paste. Seems to be no difference with AS5 although I had read at least 5-10C difference immediately. I have given up my dreams of over clocking for now till this is sorted out. I am not using any other heat producing equipement like separate GPU. I have also check processes and no untoward processes running. Just IE8. Even if nothing running and I just see the desktop the stable temp is 42C. I have just been advised to reverse my case fan from blowing in to blowing out. Will try that and rport back.
February 12, 2011 11:35:22 PM

it is possible that the thermal sensor itself is defective and showing wrong numbers.
Try different program like http://game.amd.com/es-es/drivers_overdrive.aspx

AMD Overdrive, it should show temps per core and other useful info like voltage, speed to make sure its not actually overclocked or voltage got bumped above normal,

im geting ~25c browsing web, and ~45c when cpu at 100%,
thou when i overclock cpu to max, the idle temp will rise to 40c and at 100% to 55c

**just checked my again, and my CPU core temp is at 27c but my board cpu sensor is at 42c, it seem that thermal sensor on motherboard is not very accurate.
Use program that reads temperatures from cores
February 13, 2011 12:59:03 PM

duxducis said:
it is possible that the thermal sensor itself is defective and showing wrong numbers.
Try different program like http://game.amd.com/es-es/drivers_overdrive.aspx

AMD Overdrive, it should show temps per core and other useful info like voltage, speed to make sure its not actually overclocked or voltage got bumped above normal,

im geting ~25c browsing web, and ~45c when cpu at 100%,
thou when i overclock cpu to max, the idle temp will rise to 40c and at 100% to 55c

**just checked my again, and my CPU core temp is at 27c but my board cpu sensor is at 42c, it seem that thermal sensor on motherboard is not very accurate.
Use program that reads temperatures from cores

Thanks Duxducis. This AMD programme is really good. Can it help me unlock cores as well.? To come back to the issue at hand, the temps are lower at 36C per core, but is that still not high? Also, one core CPU0 is at a higher freq compared to CPU1. On idle 0 is at 3.2G and the other at 802Mhz. Is that normal. Is that AMD's way of saving energy?
February 13, 2011 4:05:09 PM

the cpu frequency will go up and down when Cool'n'Quiet feature enabled and power setting set to use it to save energy.

The temp of 36c is fine, its probably because of you fan, you need to raise the RPM to cool it down more (there options in bios to set it to be more aggressive)

To try and unlock core you need motherboard with "Advanced Clock Calibration" feature. If you enable it and the core is not damaged it can work. Thou you would loose the option to see CPU temperature all together.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2011 5:40:37 PM

You shouldn't use EasyTune.If you start messing around with it you could be O.C.ing your CPU and not know it.I would uninstall it and get Cpuid HWmonitor.It is only a tempature reading program.

Arctic Silver 5 has a Curing period of 200hrs.Or 7days/1 week.During that time you have to do stress test to burn it in and cool it down peridocly to get the seal to it's optimum performance capability.During this time you must shut down the computer every day.I was a noob when i first got it, hearing that "it's the best" but no one said anything about a curing period.It is the best but it require an understanding of how it acutally works.I would say it's not for the novice, IMO.You are better off using a regular Thermal Paste.If you are not O.Cing then you don't really need the temp difference from using AS5.Actually if you don't do the curing period correctly it could actually raise the temps as it did with mine.
February 13, 2011 9:25:29 PM

purple stank said:
You shouldn't use EasyTune.If you start messing around with it you could be O.C.ing your CPU and not know it.I would uninstall it and get Cpuid HWmonitor.It is only a tempature reading program.

Arctic Silver 5 has a Curing period of 200hrs.Or 7days/1 week.During that time you have to do stress test to burn it in and cool it down peridocly to get the seal to it's optimum performance capability.During this time you must shut down the computer every day.I was a noob when i first got it, hearing that "it's the best" but no one said anything about a curing period.It is the best but it require an understanding of how it acutally works.I would say it's not for the novice, IMO.You are better off using a regular Thermal Paste.If you are not O.Cing then you don't really need the temp difference from using AS5.Actually if you don't do the curing period correctly it could actually raise the temps as it did with mine.

Thanks for your advice, especially about curing. On the advice of another member of th eforum, Duxducis, I have downloaded an AMD utility called Overdrive that actually gives core readings and on that I am getting readings of 29-31C, which I feel much happier with. Will the monitoring programme you mentioned also work on AMD Turion CPUs on a Toshiba Satellite laptop? I would like to check its core temps as well, not that I am going to be OCing it; just out of curiosity. Thanks again for your advice. I don't know if I can be diligent about the curing process but I always shut off computer at night for environmental reasons!!
February 13, 2011 9:29:32 PM

duxducis said:
the cpu frequency will go up and down when Cool'n'Quiet feature enabled and power setting set to use it to save energy.

The temp of 36c is fine, its probably because of you fan, you need to raise the RPM to cool it down more (there options in bios to set it to be more aggressive)

To try and unlock core you need motherboard with "Advanced Clock Calibration" feature. If you enable it and the core is not damaged it can work. Thou you would loose the option to see CPU temperature all together.

The temps have come down from my last entry. They are now in the range 29-31C at idle and light internet use. Easytune is giving readings of 39C now. One other change is that I have reversed the case fan direction of flow from sucking in to blowing out. Made 5C difference and sound much lower now.

One last question: my mobo has a 3 pin header for sysfan and a 3 pin for powerfan. What is the difference? I have looked in the mobo manual and on their website and on blog sites in general but no luck. Can you shed some light?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2011 9:49:46 PM

Your Temps are fine.29-30c is normal for any computer.The tempature of the ocmputer is using 5-10c hotter than the room tempature.I'm guessing your room temperature is around 75f

I would uninstall Easytune and AMD Overdrive.They are Overclocking programs and you don't need them.Having those programs puts u at risk of unintended O.C.ing.Sometimes they auto O.C. themselves putting your computer into a power state,increasing the voltage and potentially overheating your prossesor.

Cpuid HWMonitor is just a temp/volt reading application.It has no O.C.ing software what so ever.It will show you what type and how much of voltage it's using and what the temps and speeds of the fans are.HW Monitor is compatible with all versions of Windows and any Prossesor.
February 14, 2011 6:17:48 AM

I dont know if will help much but i have seen AMD chips go to the high 30s to mid 40s when you unlock a disabled core, up 10c after unlocking. I assume that why there where disabled to begin with because the dormant core did not meet the temp specs for that CPU. They all ran fine but just hotter then the normal versions. Oh and check with a couple of different temp programs. I have seen a 15c spread trying different programs so I run at least two when over clocking to be safe. I assume that the program that monitors temps that comes with the mother board is right but will they pay for the CPU if it was wrong?
February 14, 2011 8:36:24 AM

fuzzyplankton said:
I dont know if will help much but i have seen AMD chips go to the high 30s to mid 40s when you unlock a disabled core, up 10c after unlocking. I assume that why there where disabled to begin with because the dormant core did not meet the temp specs for that CPU. They all ran fine but just hotter then the normal versions. Oh and check with a couple of different temp programs. I have seen a 15c spread trying different programs so I run at least two when over clocking to be safe. I assume that the program that monitors temps that comes with the mother board is right but will they pay for the CPU if it was wrong?

The temps I am facing is w/o unlocking the other cores. I have a Gigabuyte GA-880GA-UD3H mobo and I have not been successful in unlocking, even when enabling the feature on the mobo BIOS. Which mobo did you use to unlock? I am wondering whether AMD has become more successful in locking down these cores better.
February 14, 2011 3:59:10 PM

I have used about six different models of ASUS mother boards and have unlocked 2 AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2 and 4 amd athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3 in the last six months. I then over clocked the bus up to 8-10% on most of them to 3.5 with no problems with stock cooler. I use these to get a $88 CPU to a 4 core 3.5 Phenom w/out 6 Meg cache for budget builds that do rather well. The only one i haven't unlocked was a 2.7 sempron 140 that would lock up on boot trying to unlock the 2nd core. Thats cpu's i have used lately to unlock.
February 14, 2011 4:16:16 PM

If your still having heat problems i used COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus for 30 buck plus shipping to take my Phenom II X4 965 from 3.4 to 3.9 by 8% bus over clock and multiplier of 18x. It runs stable with prime 95 at that with out touching any voltage. The heat went from idle at 38c to 29c and under prime 95 load 61c to 42c with stock 3.4MHZ speed. With stock cooling I could up the multiplier to 18x for 3.6MHz but if i touched the bus speed the temps shot in to the high 80c and i had to stop prime 95. This was with 5 case fans running and 70F room temp. What funny is that the mother board temp drop from 36c to 26c after the new heat sink was installed. I guess less heat radiating out to the board.
February 14, 2011 4:19:39 PM

Oh over clocked temps where idle at 29C amd prime 95 at 51c with new heat sink and running at 3.9. I have better temps now then before running at stock speed and stock cooling.
February 14, 2011 9:07:46 PM

fuzzyplankton said:
Oh over clocked temps where idle at 29C amd prime 95 at 51c with new heat sink and running at 3.9. I have better temps now then before running at stock speed and stock cooling.

Thanks for your three separate messages on unlocking and heat issues. Very useful. I think I have now nipped the issue and can confidently move to mild OCing. Will use your numerical examples on my path upwards. Many thanks for yor help and advice. Much appreciated.
!