• New Build
  • Cases
  • Heatsinks
  • Dual Processor
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 30, 2009 3:00:47 AM

Hi All,

I'm building a new system using the dual processor nehalems. I knew that the heatsink placement might be a problem, and unfortunately it seems to be. I have a Thermaltake Xaser VI case, and all the pins seem to line up (save one). However, none of the holes match up with the heatsink placement, which from what I understand, is supposed to go through the motherboard and link into the case. Maybe this is the part I have wrong?

I have two Coolermaster Hyper N520 heatsinks, which are quite large, and have a backplate for LGA 1366 processors. It's a great product from what I understand, but the directions are terrible. How does the backplate attach, and what is it supposed to be doing in this arangement? I've built a few computers, but I have never used a heatsink this big which required an additional attachment.

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

More about : problems case hole alignment

April 30, 2009 3:12:52 AM

Actually, I must be confused. There are four pins on the heatsink, which align with the four pins on the motherboard. Then there are 4 holes on the motherboard which are ~3 inches apart. There is an LGA 1366 backplate with the heatsink, which is the same size as those holes.

The problem is that the case does not have holes that also align with these three inch holes, so i'm confused how the heatsink attaches to the motherboard/case/backplate.

~Lyuokdea
April 30, 2009 6:40:25 AM

The heatsink does not attach to the motherboard tray or case in any way. You attach the heatsink to the motherboard itself by sticking the screws through the holes on the motherboard, and then fastening it down on the other side using the backplate and the included nuts to screw in down.
Related resources
April 30, 2009 6:42:49 AM

xthekidx said:
The heatsink does not attach to the motherboard tray or case in any way. You attach the heatsink to the motherboard itself by sticking the screws through the holes on the motherboard, and then fastening it down on the other side using the backplate and the included nuts to screw in down.

Ah...I thought the newer heatsinks attached directly to the case, because they were so big it was starting to warp the motherboards. I must have misread that somewhere...thanks for clearing up the confusion.

~Lyuokdea
April 30, 2009 6:53:11 AM

The backplate that comes with the coolers will provide ample support for the MB and shouldn't cause much warping, the stock heatsinks with pushpins generally put more strain on the motherboard than aftermarket heatsinks that come with the backplate, dispite the aftermarket coolers being heavier.
April 30, 2009 7:01:34 AM

Lyuokdea said:
Ah...I thought the newer heatsinks attached directly to the case, because they were so big it was starting to warp the motherboards. I must have misread that somewhere...thanks for clearing up the confusion.

~Lyuokdea

They did on BTX cases and motherboards, but BTX didn't sell well enough to survive.