Sign in with
Your question

Core clock fluctuating in CPU-Z is this norma.??

Last response: in Overclocking
February 11, 2011 8:59:52 PM

Hey all,
I've been wanting to try and OC a little but the cpuz fluctuations gives me the jeebies, is this normal? I have a AMD Athlon II X2 Regor 245 on a Msi 7707-C45 mobo. The fluctuations go from 800/1700/2900 and back in forth. Here is a pic.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

Here is also a pic of installed mem, maybe that could be a possible culprit.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

Thanks.
February 11, 2011 10:27:24 PM

Pardon my AMD ignorance but on the Intel plateform there is that thing called SpeedStep or EIST in the BIOS and enableing this will make your core clock varry when your processor is not solicitated in order to save power. I'd check if AMD has something that does the same thing and I'd disable it ;) 

A very quick Google search told me that AMD would have something named Power Now! that would do the same thing.

Hope that helps,
Cheers.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2011 11:09:44 PM

Cool N' Quiet is AMDs name for power reduction technology. And yes, those fluctuations are completely normal. Basically its a built in mechanism that lowers the clock speed of the CPU in order to save energy and run cooler when the OS tells it that high performance isn't needed.

I'm not sure i'd recommend disabling it if I were you. I know that a lot of overclockers say it should be disabled to achieve higher overclocks, but if you do disable it then your chip will always run at the maximum clock speed, increasing heat and wear.
m
l
Related resources
February 11, 2011 11:41:39 PM

jprahman said:
Cool N' Quiet is AMDs name for power reduction technology. And yes, those fluctuations are completely normal. Basically its a built in mechanism that lowers the clock speed of the CPU in order to save energy and run cooler when the OS tells it that high performance isn't needed.

I'm not sure i'd recommend disabling it if I were you. I know that a lot of overclockers say it should be disabled to achieve higher overclocks, but if you do disable it then your chip will always run at the maximum clock speed, increasing heat and wear.

Thanks guys for reply,
Thanks for info. I do have cool n quiet enabled, and it makes perfect sense why the cores would fluctuate. I was going to disable it, cause I intend to OC soon. Maybe I wont, besides I want to OC a little. Thanks again for reply, my best. :bounce: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2011 11:47:32 PM

To disable Cool N' Quiet you'll need to go into your BIOS. There should be a section with CPU settings and it should include an option to disable Cool N' Quiet. You may want to take a look at your motherboard's documentation for more info.
m
l
February 12, 2011 12:16:22 AM

jprahman said:
To disable Cool N' Quiet you'll need to go into your BIOS. There should be a section with CPU settings and it should include an option to disable Cool N' Quiet. You may want to take a look at your motherboard's documentation for more info.

Thanks Jprahman,
Yeah I kinda figured it would be in the bios. Btw.... do you have any pointers for Noobs on overclocking?? I mean what are the basics to know and what to watch for. I'm using a regular cpu heatsink so i'm looking into getting a better one to help with the heat situation. My temps are usually around 32c for the 2 cores.
thanks again, my best. ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2011 12:27:32 AM

Well, keep an eye on temps as you OC. An aftermarket heatsink would definitely improve your outlook for an higher OC, but you could certainly achieve a reasonable OC with the stock cooler as long as your temps stay low enough.

You'll want to make sure you have a good stress testing tool such as prime95 to check for stability. Just start upping the base clock until you hit instability and then you can either increase voltages or back the base clock down if your happy with that speed.

Also, there are a bunch of AMD overclocking guides out there that have a lot more info about all the different settings and how best to adjust them, so I would recommend taking a look at a couple of those.
m
l
!