Overclocking OCZ RAM

michaelpot

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
This is the first time I am going to be over clocking my memory, but I have read a few articles on how to do it, but I am still confused. I have 6GB (3x2GB) OCZ DDR3 PC3-16000 Reaper. I have checked the specs on the website and they say:

-2000MHz DDR3
-CL 9-9-9-30 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
-Available in 6GB Triple Channel Optimized kits
-Reaper HPC Heatspreader
-Lifetime Warranty
-1.65 Volts
-240 Pin DIMM
-Part Number OCZ3RPR2000LV6GK

Here's the info from HWiNFO32 and CPU- Z:

-CL 7-7-7-18
-DRAM Frequency 570 - 571 MHz roughly
-FSB: DRAM 2:8
-tRFC 59
-CR 1T
-NB Frequency 2282.2 MHz

I have a EVGA x58 3-Way Classified Motherboard so over clocking should be no problem. What exactly am I aiming for and how would I go about doing it?

Solution
Overclocking RAM isn't going to do much, at least not nearly as much as a CPU or GPU overclock. I don;t necessarily think it's a bad idea to overclock you RAM, because in your case it's rated to run at higher speed, and I definitely get your point about getting higher clocks out of it. Just don't expect more that a couple FPS.

Keep in mind that if you overclock the RAM via base clock increases you'll be overclocking your CPU as a side effect unless you drop the multiplier in order to compensate for the increased base clock.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Your RAM is running at lower specs because the 2000MHz settings require that you change to an XMP profile in the BIOS. Your RAM is currently running using JDEC profiles, which normally don't allow for operation over 1333MHz because that is the highest speed that is "standard" for DDR3.

Are you overclocking just your memory, or your CPU and your memory at the same time? Increasing RAM speed isn't going to give much of a speed boost once you go over 1600MHz. Generally anything above that is a waste.

michaelpot

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

I'll just be doing my memory for now, and I don't have the option to change the profile to XMP, only gives me the option for 'Standard'. My motherboard's bios is updated to the latest release (77), although there is a 78 version, but it wasn't on the official list yet and the update said nothing about XMP, and from previous updates there was no mention for XMP either.

So do I over clock the RAM or will there be no noticable difference? I only thought to over clock it because the voltage (1.56) and timings didn't match up to the specs, and I wanted to get as much out of it as I could.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Overclocking RAM isn't going to do much, at least not nearly as much as a CPU or GPU overclock. I don;t necessarily think it's a bad idea to overclock you RAM, because in your case it's rated to run at higher speed, and I definitely get your point about getting higher clocks out of it. Just don't expect more that a couple FPS.

Keep in mind that if you overclock the RAM via base clock increases you'll be overclocking your CPU as a side effect unless you drop the multiplier in order to compensate for the increased base clock.

Solution