Deleting custom neighbourhoods

Hi all,

I made a cutom neighbourhood a while ago but have dramatically gone off the
appearance of it. The only problem i have with deleting it is that it has
some really nice houses and families in it.

In order to save these poor families and their homes, would it be as simple
as dumping them in the respective lots/family bins?

If I did that, would they then appear in Strangetown and Pleasantview -
would they also be in the bins when I created a new custom neighbourhood?

Thanks,

Titania004
18 answers Last reply
More about deleting custom neighbourhoods

    Titania004 wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I made a cutom neighbourhood a while ago but have dramatically gone
    > off the appearance of it. The only problem i have with deleting it
    > is that it has some really nice houses and families in it.
    >
    > In order to save these poor families and their homes, would it be as
    > simple as dumping them in the respective lots/family bins?
    >
    > If I did that, would they then appear in Strangetown and Pleasantview
    > - would they also be in the bins when I created a new custom
    > neighbourhood?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Titania004

    No, you have to package the lots. Go to the neighborhood view for that
    neighborhood and when you click on each house, you should see an asterisk in
    the little box that pops up. Click that and you can package the lot.
    Choose package lot to a file. It takes a while for the game to package each
    lot. You will find them in the My Documents/EA Games/Sims2/PacakgedLots
    folder. After you package all the lots you want to keep, close the game and
    go to that folder. Doubleclick on each packaged lot to install it back into
    the game. That will make them (and their occupants) available in the lot
    bin in all neighborhoods. I haven't yet tried to move an existing family
    from one neighborhood to another so I have no idea what happens to all their
    memories. Perhaps someone else can help you with that.

    Jeanie

    "Titania004" <victoria.renwick@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I made a cutom neighbourhood a while ago but have dramatically gone off
    > the appearance of it. The only problem i have with deleting it is that it
    > has some really nice houses and families in it.
    >
    > In order to save these poor families and their homes, would it be as
    > simple as dumping them in the respective lots/family bins?

    As long as you save them in their houses then they should be available to
    place in any neighbourhood.

    But packaging them as a precaution, as jeannie suggested is a good idea.

    Granny Grumpling.

    "Granny Grumpling" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Titania004" <victoria.renwick@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I made a cutom neighbourhood a while ago but have dramatically gone off
    >> the appearance of it. The only problem i have with deleting it is that
    >> it has some really nice houses and families in it.
    >>
    >> In order to save these poor families and their homes, would it be as
    >> simple as dumping them in the respective lots/family bins?
    >
    > As long as you save them in their houses then they should be available to
    > place in any neighbourhood.
    >
    > But packaging them as a precaution, as jeannie suggested is a good idea.
    >>
    > Granny Grumpling.

    Thanks to both of you.

    I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed the whole time. I have worked really
    hard on some of those houses and have had the families for a couple of
    generations too - I don't want to lose any of them.

    Thanks again.

    Titania004

    "Titania004" <victoria.renwick@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I made a cutom neighbourhood a while ago but have dramatically gone off
    > the appearance of it. The only problem i have with deleting it is that it
    > has some really nice houses and families in it.
    >
    > In order to save these poor families and their homes, would it be as
    > simple as dumping them in the respective lots/family bins?
    >
    > If I did that, would they then appear in Strangetown and Pleasantview -
    > would they also be in the bins when I created a new custom neighbourhood?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Titania004

    YES - IT WORKED....!

    I packaged the houses up and then also put them in the Lots bin. Then I
    check in a newly made neighbourhood (and in Strangetown) and bingo, there
    they all were. Even my community lots (which believe it or not, more time
    was spent on these than on most of the houses).

    I did however lose a few families that were just in the Family bin (but the
    important ones were in their houses - and the ones I lost weren't very good
    anyway..!)

    You guys have no idea how grateful I am. I have been lurking for quite a
    while and have got some brilliant and really useful knowledge from everyone
    here. People have recommended some great hacks and objects so I thought i
    would repay the favour:

    ~ The X-Files Career from ModTheSims2 - I now have a Dana Scully lookalike
    solving strange mysteries.
    ~ Also the Vampire and Vampire Hunter careers work well too.

    Oh, one more thing - welcome back Granny! I was starting to miss you - some
    of your comments and stories about your sims really cheer me up after an
    awful day at work.

    Once again, thank you so much...!

    Titania004.

    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Titania004
    >>

    > YES - IT WORKED....!

    Ohhh. I know that feeling. One happy Simmer there.

    > I packaged the houses up and then also put them in the Lots bin. Then I
    > check in a newly made neighbourhood (and in Strangetown) and bingo, there
    > they all were. Even my community lots (which believe it or not, more time
    > was spent on these than on most of the houses).
    >
    > I did however lose a few families that were just in the Family bin (but
    > the important ones were in their houses - and the ones I lost weren't very
    > good anyway..!)

    You can drop the families onto an empty plot and save them. I have just had
    to do that.

    I say, is anyone here running a open field? I know we were doing that back
    in November when the UK game came out.
    Difficult to keep people asleep though.... 8(
    I think I was after a leather loin cloth. For my SIM I mean!!!

    Might try it again now I can build platforms in trees. Good place for a loo.
    That'll learn them.

    > ~ The X-Files Career from ModTheSims2 - I now have a Dana Scully lookalike
    > solving strange mysteries.

    Ha!! I ran Scully and Mulder for some time. Scully, tee-heeee started
    stalking Homer Simpson, to Marge's amazement, rather than dismay.

    > Oh, one more thing - welcome back Granny! I was starting to miss you -
    > some of your comments and stories about your sims really cheer me up after
    > an awful day at work.

    Lor.....

    GG.

    You might want to post the packaged community lots in one of the binaries
    groups. Good, usable community lots are hard to come by. All the ones I have
    found on the net are pretty and unfeasible.

    --
    Morituri Nolumus Mori

    MM

    "Titania004" <victoria.renwick@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    > "Titania004" <victoria.renwick@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I made a cutom neighbourhood a while ago but have dramatically gone off
    > > the appearance of it. The only problem i have with deleting it is that
    it
    > > has some really nice houses and families in it.
    > >
    > > In order to save these poor families and their homes, would it be as
    > > simple as dumping them in the respective lots/family bins?
    > >
    > > If I did that, would they then appear in Strangetown and Pleasantview -
    > > would they also be in the bins when I created a new custom
    neighbourhood?

    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Titania004
    > >

    > YES - IT WORKED....!
    >
    > I packaged the houses up and then also put them in the Lots bin. Then I
    > check in a newly made neighbourhood (and in Strangetown) and bingo, there
    > they all were. Even my community lots (which believe it or not, more time
    > was spent on these than on most of the houses).
    >
    > I did however lose a few families that were just in the Family bin (but
    the
    > important ones were in their houses - and the ones I lost weren't very
    good
    > anyway..!)
    >
    > You guys have no idea how grateful I am. I have been lurking for quite a
    > while and have got some brilliant and really useful knowledge from
    everyone
    > here. People have recommended some great hacks and objects so I thought i
    > would repay the favour:
    >
    > ~ The X-Files Career from ModTheSims2 - I now have a Dana Scully lookalike
    > solving strange mysteries.
    > ~ Also the Vampire and Vampire Hunter careers work well too.
    >
    > Oh, one more thing - welcome back Granny! I was starting to miss you -
    some
    > of your comments and stories about your sims really cheer me up after an
    > awful day at work.
    >
    > Once again, thank you so much...!
    >
    > Titania004.

    If you save them to the family bin you can put them in any
    neighborhood, but if you package them (in addition or instead) you can
    put them back into the game repeatedly. Obviously, this works better
    for houses you like and want to replicate than for families. However,
    you have to go outside the game to run the package (ie, to install it)
    each time you want to replicate the lot. I discovered this while
    trying--repeatedly--to get my ghosts back from my gothic house.
    Nothing's worked yet, sigh. My other ghost homes seem intact, however.

    "Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in

    > You might want to post the packaged community lots in one of the
    > binaries groups. Good, usable community lots are hard to come by.
    > All the ones I have found on the net are pretty and unfeasible.

    Explain "unfeasible." I've found several that I use and like. My
    sims go there and shop, socialize, and have fun.

    --
    Mike
    If the pen is mightier than the sword, and a picture is worth a

    Then tell me where they are please. The only one's I have found are very
    pretty, but enormous and complicated and make my game drag. I don't have any
    problem with the Maxis ones, nor the very ugly one I made for my game.

    --
    Morituri Nolumus Mori

    MM

    > Then tell me where they are please. The only one's I have found are very
    > pretty, but enormous and complicated and make my game drag. I don't have
    > any
    > problem with the Maxis ones, nor the very ugly one I made for my game.
    >
    > --

    Oh Mim, you can have small and pretty.
    I stopped making huge do-everything com sites when they dragged my last
    graphics card to a stagger. Now I am used to keeping them small.

    Apart from Herrods, the Vict. shop I have since lost, I never make indoor
    stores any more. Stick a clothes rack and a bunch of fruit outside in the
    sunshine.

    It is a point though. What do people want from a community site? Send your
    Sims there just to meet people? I made a town square, all paved, stick a
    wall round it and dump a fountain in the middle. Scatter with seats and a
    few pot-plants and send the pests off to wander about looking lost.
    You can, have very small squares. <evil grin>
    No toilets, no food, nothing to distract them. No NPCs either.
    Place swarms with grumpy teenagers. 8))))

    I have got one 'pretty' park, all trees and such, since renamed Lurking
    Gherkin Park but I only send my Sims there after dark - to lurk, naturally.
    Loki and Nervous turn up there a lot.

    GG.

    I tend to go for single-or-duel-function community lots too - One or two
    shops with loos or a Park with a grill and loos. They seem to need to pee a
    lot. I think Granny is cruel leaving out the loo. I mostly use the
    smallest or next to smallest lot size. It means you can have lots and lots
    of little lots and your town centre looks like a town centre. I'm thinking
    of a pub next - I was thinking of doing a recolour of the juice bar so you
    could get a drink - and then a church.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    >I tend to go for single-or-duel-function community lots too - One or two
    > shops with loos or a Park with a grill and loos. They seem to need to pee
    > lot. I think Granny is cruel leaving out the loo.

    But it does mean that the Sims change very quickly. They are always dashing
    off with a worried look on their faces.
    My playing Sim, naturally, has no bladder problems.

    I mostly use the
    > smallest or next to smallest lot size. It means you can have lots and
    > lots
    > of little lots and your town centre looks like a town centre. I'm
    > thinking
    > of a pub next - I was thinking of doing a recolour of the juice bar so you
    > could get a drink - and then a church.

    I still deplore the fact that Maxi removed the home bar use in Com lots and
    forced us to have some student thingy, littering up the place.

    Pubs are good. Don;t forget the swings.

    GG.

    I was thinking of doing a recolour in a nice sensible wood - so I can use it
    as a bar. Whaddaya think?

    Best
    Maxon

    DeAnn wrote:
    > If you save them to the family bin you can put them in any
    > neighborhood,

    That didn't work for me. I sat here with my daughter and her boyfriend one
    night and made them into Sims. We had a ball. But I did it in
    Pleasantville, and decided I wanted to move them into a custom neighborhood.
    I put them in the family bin, moved to the custom neighborhood and they
    weren't there.

    but if you package them (in addition or instead) you can
    > put them back into the game repeatedly. Obviously, this works better
    > for houses you like and want to replicate than for families. However,
    > you have to go outside the game to run the package (ie, to install it)
    > each time you want to replicate the lot. I discovered this while
    > trying--repeatedly--to get my ghosts back from my gothic house.
    > Nothing's worked yet, sigh. My other ghost homes seem intact,
    > however.

    Packaging the sims is the only way to move them to another neighborhood if
    you create them in CAS within the game. Use Body Shop and you can have them
    in any neighborhood. I learned this the hard way.

    Jeanie

    >I was thinking of doing a recolour in a nice sensible wood - so I can use
    >it
    > as a bar. Whaddaya think?
    >
    > Best
    > Maxon

    But we can't any more!!! At least, I can't.

    I used to have a bar in the Ruptured Duck and whoever was being played went
    in and served drinks before going off to create mayhem. This worked well.
    People would pick up a glass and stand there swigging. Looked good to me.

    Now I have a wretched student taking up valuable Sim-space
    <wistful> If a brainy person could hack it back to the way it was before....
    I would download that like a flash.

    I haven;t looked at any uni recolours yet. You think it would work? A nice
    scrabby wooden bar with pools of beer on the top? Oh, oh... My poor duck.
    Dead again.

    Granny.

    I just wish they had a useable commercial lot food service. The grill
    often stops working in my games (on residentail and commercial lots).
    I don't mind the bartender taking up a slot. I use smallish commercial
    lots and generally either have just an expresso tender and maybe a
    store clerk....and the two don't make a noticable impact on visitors.

    "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote in message
    >I just wish they had a useable commercial lot food service. The grill
    > often stops working in my games (on residentail and commercial lots).
    > I don't mind the bartender taking up a slot. I use smallish commercial
    > lots and generally either have just an expresso tender and maybe a
    > store clerk....and the two don't make a noticable impact on visitors.

    Use a banquet table. Expensive, perhaps, but one of those as a running
    buffet and a huge table means all the Sims talk together.

    You will have to either download an already created... oh, what is the
    word?... The files that include multi-objects for buying. I can't remember
    the link. Others will soon tell you.
    Or make your own collection!! That's the word! and edit it in Simpe. Again,
    There is a link somewhere on how to do this.

    I agree about the grill/barbeque. Pain in the neck. If you do use a banquet
    table, then don;t forget a dishwasher or two else your Sim will be trecking
    all over the place to find the nearest toilet wash-basin.

    I used to build posh dining halls but now I just stick the food next to a
    fence and let them get on with it. They don;t care.
    Please someone remember the links. I can't.

    GG

    I meant a recolour of the juice bar - you know that psychedelic prop that
    came with University. You get a bartender with that and you can pretend
    they're drinking something other than orange and mango juice. Come to think
    of it, I'm not sure if it does work in the ordinary neighbourhood but I'll
    give it a try. BTW, I clearly go to a better class of drinking
    establishment than you do.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > >I was thinking of doing a recolour in a nice sensible wood - so I can use
    > >it
    > > as a bar. Whaddaya think?
    > >
    > > Best
    > > Maxon
    > >
    > But we can't any more!!! At least, I can't.
    >
    > I used to have a bar in the Ruptured Duck and whoever was being played
    went
    > in and served drinks before going off to create mayhem. This worked well.
    > People would pick up a glass and stand there swigging. Looked good to me.
    >
    > Now I have a wretched student taking up valuable Sim-space
    > <wistful> If a brainy person could hack it back to the way it was
    before....
    > I would download that like a flash.
    >
    > I haven;t looked at any uni recolours yet. You think it would work? A nice
    > scrabby wooden bar with pools of beer on the top? Oh, oh... My poor duck.
    > Dead again.
    >
    > Granny.

Sims Games Video Games