Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What AMD mobile CPU's can I put in my Gateway MT6451 Notebook?

Last response: in Components
August 4, 2009 5:00:49 AM

What AMD mobile dual core CPU's can I put in my Gateway MT6451 Notebook? i know intel chips but im new to AMD, i just got this laptop but have been in another thread and have now come to a conclusion that i need a cooler running cpu, wouldent hurt that its also faster with more L2 cashe, i am currently running the TL-50 taylor, my notebooks specs are here

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/BladeK8F/40011...

i have to figure out what will work, im looking at many models but i dont know what to look for compatibility wise, thanks for any help
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2009 5:04:33 AM

Even if you upgrade the CPU on that notebook you wont see a significant increase in speed due to AMD has weak mobile chips in their lineup.....
m
l
August 4, 2009 5:10:44 AM

im not worried too much about the speed, its more like temps, on average the cores are running between 60-70c so i want to go from 90nm to 65nm just to keep the temps down but also wouldent mind a little extra speed, or even get a little higher speed and then under clockeing it if possable to keep the temps even lower, when i first got the notebook (used) it was running about 90c and ended up being a cloged heatsink but i was told that it should be below 40c when not running anything
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2009 5:17:49 AM

Yes, Sir.... have you taken the CPU out and check to see if it has the correct amount of thermal paste? Have you checked the CPU cooler making sure it is spinning at the correct RPM's? Sometimes your hardware can shift or move from its original state and that can cause some issues....Check that out first before you buy anything....
m
l
August 4, 2009 5:21:53 AM

there is no paste, looks like tin foil? ive always used paste on my intel chips and i have ordered some to put on it to see if it helps, ive never seen tin foil on one before, as for the rpm's im not sure, i know its spinning cause when speed fan shows that a core reaches 72c the fan starts blowing and the air is extreamly hot, cant hold my hand near it for too long
m
l
August 4, 2009 5:30:50 AM

right now i have the TL-50 Taylor
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 4, 2009 5:34:49 AM

Sorry, didn't see that....

The TL-68 looks like your only option at this time and it is 65nm.....
August 4, 2009 5:41:02 AM

so do i stick with the "TL" models? cause i dont really need 2.4ghz i was thinking more like the tl-60, or the zm models cause of there cache sizes if there compatible
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2009 2:38:44 PM

You could use the TL-60 if you want but it wont be as fast as the TL-68. If you don't need speed and you are looking for a low power chip then yea the TL-60 should suite you better....
m
l
August 5, 2009 2:51:15 AM

well im getting the chip on ebay so whatever i can afford im gunna get, the tl-60 is about $80 and the tl-68 is $180, im going to get as high as i can once my items sell as im useing paypal funds to get it, thanks for all the help
m
l
August 5, 2009 3:26:33 AM

pre-insatlled was 1gb (2x512mb), has been upgraded to its max of 2gb (2x1gb), in about a year ill be buying a new notebook
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2009 3:33:00 AM

You should see a jump in performance from 1.6Ghz to 2.0 but I would wait and save up for the TL-68...Unless you decide to sell you notebook and get something with a core2duo.....
m
l
August 5, 2009 2:52:29 PM

well thats what i want is a c2d, i had a c2d desktop and running vista ultiment and it flew threw programs and start up, i might just list my notebok now on ebay and just get one and avoid the install of a cpu, lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2009 3:01:27 PM

Yea, IMO that would be a better move..... As far as notebooks go, Intel has the lead in the speed dept.
m
l
August 11, 2009 5:59:16 PM

well i cleand everything and applied new thermal paste and there is no change
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2009 6:39:25 PM

Have you checked the cpu fan? Make sure it's at full speed @ load. If you can down load speedfan, try maxing out the RPM's meaning make sure its at 100% all the time.. That should keep the temps lower.....
m
l
August 11, 2009 8:28:15 PM

speedfan doesnt show any fans, but i do know that the fan blows hard under load and i can feel all the hot air comming out
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2009 9:04:27 PM

You should see the fan info on the 4th tab... It should show the RPM's......
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2009 9:22:10 PM

The only other option you have is everest ultimate, it should give you real-time cpu temps.....
m
l
August 11, 2009 9:43:00 PM

ok so i got it, whare do i find the fan speed?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2009 9:45:12 PM

go to CPU info and you should see the fan speed control tab, if not then that means that your mobo is not letting you change any values whatsoever.... and that basically means you cannot do anything but monitor your temps.....
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2009 11:21:42 PM

Yea it looks like your motherboard has locked some features from both programs....

ATM I would not know what else would help.... These are the common issues with locked motherboards.....Have you looked in your bios?
m
l
August 12, 2009 12:03:15 AM

bios shows just basic info, no temps or fan speeds, also i cannot change any values (for overclocking)
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2009 12:07:27 AM

Yep, cause its a Gateway..... You really can't do anything to it......
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2009 1:05:53 AM

My advice is to either try and sell that laptop due to the fact that it is too expensive to upgrade... Most laptops are..... If you can sell it and get some cash you might be able to updrade to something faster.... In my opinion you should only do this if your laptop is not up to par with your standards. I use a dell xps 1530 and even though it was expensive I can at least upgrade the cpu, gpu and ram just in case it is needed... Gateway makes good laptops but the issue you have has to do with your Turion CPU..... It is too expensive to buy a faster Turion when the end-result wont be earth-shattering....Like I said you might see a performance increase but not something that will be worth spending money on.......

My advice is save, save as much as you can and get a notebook that is upgadeable.....

Here is a list of laptops in all price-ranges, try to get an Intel based laptop that fits your needs... I am an AMD superfan but when it comes to mobile cpu's AMD falls short...

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptop-reviews/?filter=100021_1...
m
l
!