Sign in with
Your question

A simple recap

Last response: in Storage
December 15, 2010 2:01:35 PM

Hello,
I too am getting into the SSD fray with a 90GB Vertex 2 from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227611 and have been scouring the forums here and on OCZ's site. I think I have the gist down and wanted to just reaffirm that they are the right ideas:
1) I set the sata type to ACHI, use the usoft drivers (since I'm on an AMD platform),
2) after installing the appropriate drivers, run the WEI so Win7 can automatically set TRIM, prefetch/superfetch, etc automatically since it will detect the SSD,
3) don't benchmark it too much,
4) Garbage Collect works during idle times,
5) don't defrag nearly as much as I would with a HDD,
6) don't fill more than 80% of the capacity,
7) limit the page/swap file on the SSD or even move it to the HDD,
8) disable hibernation and System Restore to save space,
9) disable indexing

Now things that I have concern with are I've read numerous posts and articles stating that over using/writing kills the SSD. That makes sense to me, but my first question is that should I be trying to limit the amount of data I save to the HDD? Like for instance, installing/uninstalling programs, creating/saving new files and/or games, moving files around the SSD and/or to my HDD, things like that?

Secondly, are there any other recommendations anyone has that I can implement before, during, and after installation? I really would like this drive to last me as long as possible, so any suggestions as to how to limit the writes or simply increase the longevity would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my post!

If needed, here are my specs:

Phenom II x3 720 BE ~3.4Ghz
Gigabyte GA MA770t UD3P f11c
4GB DDR3 1333 @ 1.6v
Radeon 4980 XXX
WD Black 1TB 1001FALS
Antec 650w TruePower

More about : simple recap

December 16, 2010 2:41:50 AM

Thanks for the post malmental, I've read this post on other threads and its a lot of help! I was also wondering about alignment, and if that is something that I need to do or it Win7 does it automatically?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2010 7:51:12 AM

Don't worry about alignment. In extremely rare cases where Windows 7 doesn't recognise the drive as an SSD it will not be aligned properly but I've only seen that happen once.
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2010 11:23:54 AM

Oh ok. Thanks for the response, I'm totally stoked for my first SSD. Do you have any other recommendations/suggestions before I install tomorrow?
m
l
December 22, 2010 11:12:16 PM

Best answer selected by sabre181.
m
l
!