Worth buying Corsair DDR2 XMS2?

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Currently, I have three modules of Kingston RAM, 1 GB 667 and 2x1GB 800. The mobo I have is the Asus P5QLD Pro.

I plan to OC my Q6600 sometime in the near future and reach at least 3.6 Ghz.

So,
1. Do you think it's going to benefit me much to replace the ram I currently have with 2x2GB of Corsair DDR2 XMS2?
2. Apart from the extra gig, those heat spreaders, will they do much?
3. Will I have any clearance issue with these sort of modules if I get a Scythe Mugen 2, Prolimatech Megahalems, or a Zalman CNPS 10x Performa in the near future?
4. And since we're on "will this fit" part of the question, is the relatively small size of my current mobo going to be a hindrance in any way in holding these monster coolers?
5. And finally, my last question belong which belongs in the motherboard section but I'm going to put it here 'cause I don't want to make another thread: will my mobo (P43 chipset) allow me to OC my Q6600 to 3.6 GHz?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
G
It's doesn't make a difference, that's why they don't say what motherboard is required because it doesn't matter, the NH-D14 fits on a mATX, that motherboard is smaller than yours and the NH-D14 is twice as big as the megahelms.

As for hot, it just means that it's going to get hotter when you overclock through the FSB, so that would be something else other than the processor that would cause instability, but that happens on all motherboards when you use increase the FSB, so just get the cooler and start over clocking.
G

1. No, not much of a difference unless you get DDR2 1066MHz RAM- yet still the difference isn't that much.

2. The heat spreaders only affect the temperature and ability to overclock the RAM, though it's hard to get stable overclocks.

3. No, all modern RAM is of that height and higher, obviously the coolers will have space.

4. No, you have an ATX mobo, I've seen NH-D14 on mATX- it doesn't matter.

5. You will have to do so through the FSB, and P43 NBs get really hot with quad cores. You should ask this question in the overclocking section, I don't have the experience to give you a reliable answer.

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Thank you so much, man.

I was really concerned that my motherboard, despite being ATX, would somehow fail to fit a Megahalem since it's smaller than the average sized ATX mobo. So I'm grateful for your reassurance. Phew.

And as for the overclocking potential of the mobo, I think I'll start another thread in the relevant section in a while, if I don't get satisfying responses here. The motherboard manual does state that 1600 FSB is very much possible. I'm aware it's no P45 but I just wanted some confirmation that it could satisfactorily get the job done.

But once again, you've been a real help. Thanks.

G

Runs hot,
can't be precise, install your cooler and start over clocking step by step, find out for your self, I can't find any sources on the Internet though there are a lot of unanswered posts, you be the first source.

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Yeah, I didn't find anything concrete when prowling the interwebz myself. I guess I'll be the first then. Though, how hot is "hot"?

Also, you didn't respond to this from the other thread:

"12 inch x 7.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 19.3 cm ) - emphasis on the 7.6 inch/19.3cm < is this not usually larger for ATX motherboards? I mean it's ATX, the standard size and everything, but because of its smaller width, do things not get pushed together somewhat (such as the processor and the RAM slots) making it harder for fit huge coolers?

Err... or does that not really matter as long as it's 12 inches in length?"

Sorry but my paranoia knows no bounds.

G

It's doesn't make a difference, that's why they don't say what motherboard is required because it doesn't matter, the NH-D14 fits on a mATX, that motherboard is smaller than yours and the NH-D14 is twice as big as the megahelms.

As for hot, it just means that it's going to get hotter when you overclock through the FSB, so that would be something else other than the processor that would cause instability, but that happens on all motherboards when you use increase the FSB, so just get the cooler and start over clocking.

Solution