Sign in with
Your question

Freezing issue, please help

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 4, 2009 5:21:23 AM

My 3 month old pc has been experiencing irregular freezes. Sometimes my pc can last a couple of hours, other times a few minutes. It even freezes when my computer is idle, with few programs running.

My components are:
Q9550 (no overclock)
EVGA 780i ftw mobo (bios has been updated)
Corsair 4gb ddr2-8500 1066
XFX GTX 285
Corsair Hx1000w psu
1x 300gb wd velociraptor
1x 1tb wd black
1x 1tb seagate barracuda
2 optical drives
Cosmos S case
Vista home premium 64bit
(system is plugged into a surge protector)

The last few days my speedfan temp readings were:
- GPU around 48-52 degrees (celsius)
- System around 27-35 degrees
- Cores 1 to 4 around 37-49 degrees
Even had my case open and a fan blowing on it, and it still froze (so I don't believe heat is the issue)

- 12 passes of memtest showed no errors.
- updated drivers for gpu and mobo
- replugged gpu and mobo
- used western digital's data lifeguard diagnostic to test my hard drives, showed no errors
- no overclock

Right now I'm testing my system with my additional hard drives and optical drives removed and adding them back in one by one

Any suggestions or ideas that may help me??

More about : freezing issue

August 4, 2009 6:59:02 AM

Are you able to borrow a power supply and test that with your system? I'm assuming it could be the cause of your problems.
August 4, 2009 8:20:21 AM

Run manufacturers diagnostic on your hard drive, if unable to read the drive, windows will freeze until it gets the data. GDTune is a good way of checking performance and SMART data..

Mike.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 4, 2009 9:12:40 AM

A difficult problem. usually i RAM is the culprit it causes a BSOD freeze/crash. It's possible it's the power supply but my guess would be a software issue possibly hard drive related.

software gets tricky. My advice unfortunately is to do a FULL reinstallation (FULL NTFS) of Windows. The "FULL" part is important is it reads and writes to build up a bad sector table.

Troubleshooting:
Do things in order of what is the easiest and/or cheapest. this is NOT in order as I don't know if you can get access to parts
1) replace PSU
2) reinstall Windows
3) swap RAM or troubleshoot by using HALF of your RAM at a time (Memtest is good but not 100%)
4) replace graphics card (very doubtful it's the problem)
5) remove the hard drive completely and run from a Linux Live CD (such as Ubuntu). The advantage is that if it's a hard drive physical problem of software issue this can prove it. The disadvantage is mainly in how long the glitch takes to occur.

You can try try JUST the software by going to the Ubuntu page and installing WUBI which will download and install Ubuntu 9.04 x64 as default. It installs like a program so add/remove gets rid of it but to enter you REBOOT and select Ubuntu so it in no way is linked to Windows when in use. You can use Firefox, OpenOffice easily.

Basically you need to swap out hardware or software to troubleshoot. It can be a pain I know but look at it as a learning experience.

QUICK FIX:
There is something you can try that MAY help. Go into your device manager and right-click and remove any PATA or SATA controllers. REBOOT. Everything will auto install but there are bizarre glitches in XP, Vista and Windows 7 that happen. This fix is also used for inexplicable Read and/or Write speeds being slow. I've fixed MANY computers with this (even recently with Windows 7 RC). Anyway, this can't hurt anything and I recommend ANYBODY just go ahead and do it.
a b ) Power supply
August 4, 2009 9:29:33 AM

Other:
Try removing, swapping or disabling cards or components.

This includes your DVD drive, sound or network cards. In some cases, simply reinserting or moving one of the PCI cards to a different slot solved the problem.
August 4, 2009 9:37:54 AM

manually set everything in the bios - ram to 1:1 ratio and voltage to ~1.9v (more depending on what the default of the ram is) - see how it goes

bios's think they know best - they do not.
August 4, 2009 12:54:33 PM

MAY B U SHUD NOT PUT COMPUTAHR IN FREEZER
August 5, 2009 6:07:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Really appreciate it. I'm currently trying out mike99's suggestion.

Last night, I tried removing my sata devices one by one to see if that made a difference. Froze each time.
However, I plugged those devices back in and my computer hasn't froze yet today.
Anyway...
- I don't have replacement psu; if it comes down to it, I'll try to test my psu on a friend's system
- gonna avoid reinstalling windows until the end, after testing hardware
- I'll get a replacement graphics card and test my system

Note: I never had a bsod before. The screen would just freeze; mouse, keyboard, and speaker would become unresponsive.

August 5, 2009 6:34:35 AM

If you didnt set ram volts manually they probably need increased. Mobo defaults 1.8 and I bet urs requires 2.1v
!