$1300 Gaming & Movie build

daffyduck

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Early June (I know it's still early, but i'm excited :D)

BUDGET RANGE: $1400 ($1900AUD)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Games, Movies, everything else.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, dvd, OS*

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:

PARTS PREFERENCES: Phen build but if you can make an i7 work go for it.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not right now, but i might later on.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have no links, and the prices will be in AUD.

Case: Antec 900 $193 & 120mm Tricool fans x2 $36

I might consider CM rc690 if it comes down to it but the Antec 900 looks way cooler.

MB: M4A79T Deluxe $324

Cpu: Phen II x4 955 $420 Hoping to OC to atleast 3.8ghz but i'll take it as far as i can.

Gpu: 1GB 4890 $410 Haven't decided a brand yet. But I've been told XFX is the best for OC.

Ram: 4GB DDR3 1333 $99

PSU: Corsair TX-650 $180

HDD: WD 1TB$144

CPU Cooler: If anyone would be so kind to find me one that'd be much appreciated.

= About $1800 AUD ($1300 USD) plus the cpu cooler.

So yea. If you can find me any cheaper parts for similar performance that would be great.

*I'm currently running Vista32, but a friend who looked over this build told me i'd need Vista64 to achieve it's full potential. Is this true? Because Vista64 is one expensive piece of software and i'd have to make quite a few changes to this build.

nerrawg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
If you are into movies man, check out the antec veris:
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/pr [...] d=MTE5Nw==
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/pr [...] d=MTE5OA==
these are fitted into the 5.25 slots and make a normal looking ATX mid tower into a HTPC - assuming that the computer you mentioned above is a mid tower
here is the explanation on what they can do:
http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=1439

See what you think, otherwise you know that the GPU is of course overkill for this, but good for games. Also you could go for the PII 720 BE and DDR2 AM2+ board and save money if you want - use it on a projector or speakers for a home cinema -
For more ideas on how much to spend read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264181-31-best-bang-buck-spend-system

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Vista Question:
Yes you should get a copy of vista 64 bit. If not you won't be able to fully utlize your system ram. a 32 bit os has 2^32 bits of address space = 4gbs. so ~.5gbs is used by the os for mapping i/o device, 1gb for your gpu (windows thinks gpu ram is more important than system ram) and that leaves you with about 2.5gigs of ram to use out of your 4gbs. So that's why i would highly reccomend using a 64 bit os.

is your hd a WD 500 "black"? I would look at getting the wd 640 black in any case though, but if that's not an option try to make sure to at least get the black 500.

Is that antec 900 the original or v2? If its not the original then i'd say save the money and pick up the original instead.

What website are you getting your prices from? I'm assuming your not in the North America so newegg is not an opition?

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Are you not going to wait for DX11 GPU's? That one is great, but man that's expensive. Might as well get a 295GTX if you are willing to spend that much right now....

winterblade

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009

Remember AUD

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
If you pay for shipping, microsoft will send you a 64bit DVD which you can use your old product key with. It doesn't cost much to upgrade to vista 64bit.

daffyduck

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
If you are into movies man, check out the antec veris:...

See what you think, otherwise you know that the GPU is of course overkill for this, but good for games. Also you could go for the PII 720 BE and DDR2 AM2+ board and save money if you want - use it on a projector or speakers for a home cinema -
Actually it is more of a gaming machine. I do watch movies on it every now and then though, but only when the TVs are occupied.

About the PII 720 and cheaper MOBO, I was trying to keep it as easy as possible to upgrade later on. If money becomes a problem, i will probably do that, but atm it should be all right.

Give links to the stores you will shop from so people can play around with the configuration and get you the best deals.

What website are you getting your prices from? I'm assuming your not in the North America so newegg is not an opition?

I buy from www.msy.com.au. But their website is horrible and has no linkage. If you'd like, www.centrecom.com.au has a more user friendly website and allows linkage but they're a bit more expensive than msy.

Really though, just use newegg. I'll find the parts from msy/centrecom myself. I mean i will miss out on combo deals and such, but it's just easier for you guys that way.

is your hd a WD 500 "black"? I would look at getting the wd 640 black in any case though, but if that's not an option try to make sure to at least get the black 500.

Not sure, the website doesn't go into that much detail. What's the difference?

Is that antec 900 the original or v2? If its not the original then i'd say save the money and pick up the original instead.

I'm assuming you're referring to Antec 902? If so than It's the original.
Are you not going to wait for DX11 GPU's? That one is great, but man that's expensive. Might as well get a 295GTX if you are willing to spend that much right now....

Uh if they come out before June then i'll consider them. But i doubt it, since PII x4 945 and 955 only came out here like 3 days ago. Plus the GPU was in AUD it would work out to about $280-300USD. A 295GTX is around $800 AUD here.

Oh and thanks for the vista advice. I'll try get a 64bit edition off microsoft.

And uh any help with the CPU Fan? Just use newegg. I'll work it out from there.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.