HTPC Cases: First-time builder could use expert advice!

Luth

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I browsed through NewEgg and found the following cases that looked like they could be good for an HTPC. If you have experience with any of these (or simply are smart enough to comment on them regardless), please give me your advice and feedback. My first concern is with finding a quiet case, and secondly, an affordable one. Some of these require a PSU in addition, and that's going to tax my budget a bit. I plan on ripping as much of my DVD library to hard drive as I can, so allowing for extra HDDs is a bonus, though, a single 1TB drive will do me for now.

$79.99 - nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Steel HTPC 3000B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail

$108.45 - Antec New Solution NSK2480 Black/Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Retail

$109.99 - SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel LC13B-E ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail

$109.99 - SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel LC10B-E ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail

$119.99 - nMEDIAPC Red Wood Wood/Steel HTPC 8000 ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail

To see what is going inside the HTPC, here's a link to the public "Wish List" on NewEgg:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14673748

I simply can't decide by myself. "Analysis Paralysis" is an entirely too-accurate description of my current condition. :(

Thank you in advance for your help! I look forward to repaying it some day. :ange:

I would go for the first or last one, depending on your space. For the power supply, antec, corsair, seasonic, pc power and cooling, and enermax work well. How many watts you need depends on your video card. For low to mid range cards, 500w is enough.

HardwareSexFan

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
THESE cases are da bomb you should not consider buying all of them because some of them are really awesome and I like them all so does that not count for something. Sometimes a expert is someone who knows all about cases and I dont so I would buy every case out there until my pc was 4 metric tonnes in wait. I currently only have one case but I might order some more cases as I like your suggestion.

Also I like big hairy $h1t3's on processor like softwarefiend.

Luth

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
o1die, kindly ignore the following: Given the helpfulness of other parts of the forum, maybe I had my expectations set (far, far) too high for you fellows. I suppose I should take my laughable questions elsewhere. After all, propagating ignorance is a worthy and commendable goal.

Cheers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

The Antec is the best fit for a home audio component rack. The Silverstone case is huge, and the wood case is "huger"

nh484000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
First off I want to apologize for the useless comments from the other users. I feel that this site provides some of the best and most helpful information to its users. Now to your question...

I have an nMEDIAPC case and hate it. It is poorly made and feels cheap. The front cover is broken and the fans are loud.

I agree with crashman and the best case would be the Antec. they have a quality case and are well know.

On that note I hope you do not turn your back to Tomshardware because of the ignorance and sloppiness of users that abuse the site.

Luth

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
It seems the general consensus is "Antec" both from you two and others on another, less aggressive TH forum. Crashman, nh484000, thank you both. :)

Inu_Yasha

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I too am considering the cases that you're looking at. I kinda was leaning toward the nMedia HTPC 8000 or the Silverstone LC 13. A lot of reviewers for the LC 13 rate that case as excellent (and I think it would match my audio rack). The HTPC 8000 would match my front media case so I kinda was looking at that, but looking at the dimensions, that case would be HUGE!!! I haven't heard much about nmedia but toms rated one their cases as the best for HTPC so I don't know...