Sign in with
Your question

Old PCI VS PCIe 2.0

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2009 11:49:44 AM

Hello folks

My question may be simple, or looks stupid but I don't care.

Currently I have a old PCI card. a Nvidia Geforce 8400 PCI 512mb. It's not the best, but it used to get the job done.

Yesterday I tryed playing Crysis. Yeah, you guess it, lag with everything on low.

If you want my config (Maybe it's gonna help but I don't think

DFI LANPARTY ULTRA-D
AMD ATHLON 64 x2 4200+ Overclocked at 2.6mHz
4x512 mb kingston

Maybe it's my other stuff ruining the game play, but I'm pretty sure it's the graphic card.

Anyway, my question is if I buy a PCIe card, let's say with the same amount of mb will it really improve my graphic experience?

Or I will need to buy the latest 500$ graphic card. I know Crysis require alot on video card side, I don't want to play it at 500 fps. the regular 40 fps max 50 will be enough since human eye can't do the difference after that.

I was thinking about buying http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=37330&vpn=512-P3...

I have limited budget, and don't want to spend 500$ because I don't play much, so if you guys have any idea in the price range of 0-140$ shipping include, and that they can ship to Canada, enlight me!

Thanks, and have a good day!

More about : pci pcie

a c 140 U Graphics card
May 21, 2009 12:19:41 PM

That card should be just fine for you. I wouldn't go much higher than that given your processor and quite possibly your power supply (note this card does require an external power connection).

-Wolf sends
!