Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Corsair hydro H70 curriosity

Last response: in Overclocking
February 12, 2011 8:07:22 PM

Newegg has a deal for 15 percent off, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Is this a water cooling solution or a phase changer?
Is it pre-filled with solution?
Does it ever need cleaning or replacement?

I've been using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (vigor monsoon III) as my CPU cooler since two years ago. So I don't really know much about other kinds of cooling solutions.

Where could I sell this old heat sink if I replaced it? Do people even buy used parts like this?

Most important questions:
-Are there any cooling solutions comparable to the corsair hydro that I should consider?
-Will this be compatible for my new build using the sandy bridge CPU in a few months?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2011 9:12:32 PM

It is technically water cooling, though many would argue that.

It is a closed unit that needs no refilling (you can't) or maintenance (other than cleaning the "radiator").

I guess you could try craigslist or ebay, though I do not really see a market for an old HSF, when you can get newer, better HSFs for $30-$40.

Depending on case and motherboard, at that price you should look to the Prolimatech Megahalems, Thermalright Venemous X, Silver Arrow or Archon, and Noctua NH-D14, there is also the Scythe Mugen 2 at only $40 which is close to the others in cooling performance.

Any cooler that is compatible with socket 1156 motherboards will be usable on Sandy Bridge (1155) motherboards.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2011 4:05:39 AM

Yes, it's a closed-loop liquid cooler. No maintenance, no muss, no fuss.

The H70 is roughly equivalent to the top-level air coolers:

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B
Noctua NH-D14
Thermalright Silver Arrow
etc.

And yes, it's compatible.
Related resources

Best solution

February 13, 2011 11:11:53 AM

I'm using the Corsair H50 because it was on a great sale at my local BestBuy (crazy right?) and it works great! I have my AMD Phenom II X6 1090T overclocked to 4.0GHz and i've NEVER gotten a temp over 50C.

The Corsair H70 used 2 120mm fans in a push/pull type of manner. Meaning one fan pulls cool air in and the other fan pushes the air away. -->||--> Like that. I would say it's pretty close to one of the top-of-the-line air coolers, if you want a pre-build liquid cooling kit if it's your first time this is a good idea.

Plus you can say you got liquid cooling? :D  But keep in mind that the size of the Radiator + 2 120mm Fans are very large, you'll need to make sure you have space to put that. But one thing I recommend would be to replace the Fans that come with a H50/H70. You could buy a Scythe 120mm PWM fan which has a much higher RPM and gets a ton of air flow. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Another good thing about either the H50/H70 is that you never really need to clean it (other than cleaning some of the dust that builds up). Everything is pre-sealed, so it's a no hassle job.

Overall:
Yes, it's a pretty good small Liquid Cooling
Yes, It's compatible will ALL sockets
Yes, It's considered liquid cooling. (Made of a non-conductive liquid)
No one buys old heat sinks (unless it's like a friend with a crappy Dell)
February 13, 2011 11:29:06 AM

the h70 is a water cooled unit that is pre filled with solution and is a closed loop system, so no maintanance
is at lest as good as the top air cooled units BUT with more moving parts is less relieable than its air cooled brothers
they come with a 2year warranty and in a perfect world the pump should last about 5years lol hmmm

the unit is big and u mite have some trouble fitting it in to some cases and it can be noisy if u dont have the same amount of air goen in and out (equal pressure inthe case)

not sure if they r compatible but corsair.com mite have some idea

i have had one running for about 6 months non-stop so far (cross fingers)
February 13, 2011 12:02:24 PM

monkeymonk said:
Newegg has a deal for 15 percent off, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Is this a water cooling solution or a phase changer?
Is it pre-filled with solution?
Does it ever need cleaning or replacement?

I've been using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (vigor monsoon III) as my CPU cooler since two years ago. So I don't really know much about other kinds of cooling solutions.

Where could I sell this old heat sink if I replaced it? Do people even buy used parts like this?

Most important questions:
-Are there any cooling solutions comparable to the corsair hydro that I should consider?
-Will this be compatible for my new build using the sandy bridge CPU in a few months?

I just ordered mine last night with discount from newegg $92.00!
February 13, 2011 8:39:43 PM

Best answer selected by monkeymonk.
February 13, 2011 8:42:10 PM

deegon said:
the h70 is a water cooled unit that is pre filled with solution and is a closed loop system, so no maintanance
is at lest as good as the top air cooled units BUT with more moving parts is less relieable than its air cooled brothers
they come with a 2year warranty and in a perfect world the pump should last about 5years lol hmmm

the unit is big and u mite have some trouble fitting it in to some cases and it can be noisy if u dont have the same amount of air goen in and out (equal pressure inthe case)

not sure if they r compatible but corsair.com mite have some idea

i have had one running for about 6 months non-stop so far (cross fingers)

You brought up a good point about the reliability of it. That alone would make me decide not to get it.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2011 8:52:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!