Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is My Overclock Stable?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 12, 2011 11:19:36 PM

Alright, so I overclocked my AMD Phenom II X6 1090T to 4.0Ghz (it's default is 3.2Ghz). I ran Prime95 and it lasted for about 4 hours. Would that be considered "stable"? I know going for like 24 would be best (maybe even 12) but I'm just wondering if that would be OK?

COMPUTER SPECS:
ASUS M4A87TD EVO
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
8GB Corsair RAM @1600Mhz
600W Power Supply
nVidia GTS 450
Corsair H50 Liquid Cooling.
--------------------------------------------
OVERCLOCK SPECS:
CPU Speed: 4.01GHz
Multiplier: x20
FSB: 200MHz
RAM Speed: 1600MHz
CPU Voltage: 1.425v (~1.45v when running Prime95)
CPU/NB Voltage: Auto
DRAM Voltage: 1.65v
CPU LLC: Enabled
Spread Spectrum: Disabled
C1E: Disabled
CoolnQuiet: Disabled

I'm only getting temps of ~22C at Idle and ~47C when I run Prime95; So I know it's not a heating issue. But I still would like to know if it's considered stable.

More about : overclock stable

a c 133 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2011 11:32:54 PM

to know if its stable u should run 6 windows of orthos , for like 12 hours, and if theres no crashes or error, u should be fun, run prime95 for 12 hours also, and watch the temps with coretemp since its a reliable program. ive herd alrighrt things on ur watercooling setup i guess its not the high end, but does the job fine, anything under 62 degrees for a pretty oced processor is good, as long as u stay within a certain temperature when ur on fullload with the cpu cores.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 286 K Overclocking
February 12, 2011 11:33:40 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

With 4 hours and not problems looks good, but run it 12 or more to full stability. Check temps, 55ºC or above isn't good.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2011 11:38:44 PM

"...and it lasted for about 4 hours."

Does that mean it had an error after four hours? If so, I wouldn't consider it stable, not by a long shot. But that's me.

Also, make sure that when you're using Prime95 to test an overclock that you're selecting the "In-place large FFTs" setting in the Torture Test menu. That will generate the most strenuous testing.

My stability tests:
Prime95, 24 hours of In-place large FFTs
IntelBurnTest v2.5, 50 runs of Stress Level Maximum, Threads Auto.

If it has any errors at all during those two tests, I don't consider it stable.
m
l
February 12, 2011 11:43:32 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
"...and it lasted for about 4 hours."

Does that mean it had an error after four hours? If so, I wouldn't consider it stable, not by a long shot. But that's me.

Also, make sure that when you're using Prime95 to test an overclock that you're selecting the "In-place large FFTs" setting in the Torture Test menu. That will generate the most strenuous testing.

My stability tests:
Prime95, 24 hours of In-place large FFTs
IntelBurnTest v2.5, 50 runs of Stress Level Maximum, Threads Auto.

If it has any errors at all during those two tests, I don't consider it stable.

Yes it did stop running, I'm not sure how exactly it stopped (was in the other room) but it did after 4 hours. Should I try upping the voltage for the CPU Voltage?

PS: Thanks to everyone for such quick replies. :D 
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2011 11:55:06 PM

np, just giving my mid level advice, of course these 2 other replys are quite good, im just saying for a rule of thumb doing a stress test for over 12 hours and watch the temperatures really make shur u got a stable oc
m
l
February 13, 2011 12:34:11 AM

iceclock said:
np, just giving my mid level advice, of course these 2 other replys are quite good, im just saying for a rule of thumb doing a stress test for over 12 hours and watch the temperatures really make shur u got a stable oc

Yeah, I'm not the very best at knowing all this either. :p  Would you recommend turning the voltage up or just clock it down?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2011 1:00:54 AM

You're probably close, up the voltage a bit if you are ok with current max temps you're getting. 4 hours is not long enough of a run for Prime 95 and it seems that you failed it anyways. Last time I did a 12 hour run, it failed after almost 9 hours, a bit frustrating yes, so I upped the voltage a tad
February 13, 2011 1:07:39 AM

bearclaw99 said:
You're probably close, up the voltage a bit if you are ok with current max temps you're getting. 4 hours is not long enough of a run for Prime 95 and it seems that you failed it anyways. Last time I did a 12 hour run, it failed after almost 9 hours, a bit frustrating yes, so I upped the voltage a tad

Alright, I'll up the voltage. Thanks! I bet it would suck to have it fail at 9 hours. :??: 
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2011 2:35:15 AM

indeed,
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2011 1:12:33 PM

AMD's max recommended temperature for the processor according to PCWIZKID is 60 Degrees Celsius, so stay below that and you're fine, it's not the limit, your good at 62-65 max.
m
l
February 13, 2011 2:57:07 PM

Best answer selected by IAreKyleW00t.
m
l
!