Sign in with
Your question

Computer will not start. New mobo did not fix problem

Last response: in CPUs
August 4, 2009 9:06:51 AM

Hey,
My computer recently broke after about 20 months. It is a computer i built with the help of some of the forum users of toms hardware. Anyways, when i first tried turning on my computer (it was working 4 hours before that) notthing powered on.
No case lights, no fans, no notthing.
I bought a new PSU to find that it did not help my problem. I also tested my old PSU to check that it works by shorting the green and black wire in the atx connector and watched my case lights and fans come to life.
I then ordered a new motherboard and PSU tester (i just wanted to make sure the psu wasnt over volting the mobo).
After hooking everything up to the new motherboard and testing the old PSU (again) i proceeded to turn on the computer....i got no response from the case lights/fans/anything.
I also checked that the power switch was in working condition, which it is...

Anyways, Does anyone have an idea what may be the problem? i am guessing the CPU i have is broken and needs replacing.
I just wanted to get some opinions about possible solutions to the problem before i shell out a couple hundred more dollars.

Thanks for your time! :hello: 
August 4, 2009 9:21:21 AM

Even if your CPU would be broken, you should at least have the motherboard's lights on. I suggest you take everything out from your case and try build it on a table and see if is working. It might be a short-circuit.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2009 10:18:29 AM

Try booting without RAM and your video card, if it doesn't even beep then the motherboard could be DOA.

Before trying the next steps, try cleaning the gold contacts of your ram and vid card with a pencil eraser, and blowing air on the ram slots and vid card slot. (Just make sure that no eraser bits remain on the contacts before you try to insert it.)

1. If it does beep (I'm not sure of the pattern though), kill the power, insert one stick of ram.
2a. If the pattern of beeps change, kill the power then insert the vid card and boot again. If after that the pattern of beeps do not change then it might be the vid card that's the problem.
2b. If the pattern of beeps do not change, try pulling out the ram then insert the vid card, then boot. If the pattern of beeps change then it might be the ram that's bad.

After that I think it should work, else you should provide more info.

August 4, 2009 12:39:02 PM

most motherboards cases have stand off screws that you screw into the case; from there, you mount your mobo to those stand off screws so your motherboard doesn't short circuit to the case. check to see if your case has stand off screws.
August 4, 2009 12:41:16 PM

Have you tried turning it off and on?

Hope you have awesome luck with that :D 
August 4, 2009 12:41:49 PM

maybe ur compluter is dammaged :fou: 

a b à CPUs
August 4, 2009 12:52:27 PM

If you rec'd a new mobo and are having the same problem as before you replaced it, chances are it is not an actual hardware issues but most likely PEBKAC. [rant]Been noticing a lot of mobo reviews on Newegg lately with reviewers stating that the mobo is DOA and would not start but from reading the description of their problem it totally smells of n00b mistakes and/or PEBKAC.[/rant]

sepayne21 said:
most motherboards have stand off screws that you screw into the case; from there, you mount your mobo to those stand off screws so your motherboard doesn't short circuit to the case. check to see if your case has stand off screws.
Not only must you use the mobo standoffs, but experience has taught me to put little paper or plastic washers between the standoffs and the mobo as an extra cushion of insulation to eliminate any possible electric shorts.

Ensure that the proper power connectors are firmly seated, the 20/24 pin ATX power connector as well as the 4/8 pin 12v power connector.

Verify that the 2 pin case power button connector is connected correctly. Not all mobo manuals are clear on which is the + or - pin on the mobo, and btw; the red wire gets connected to the + pin on the mobo.

As Apache asked, what are your specs? Specifically what make and model of mobo, memory, proc, gpu, and brand and wattage of psu.
August 5, 2009 7:09:04 AM

hefox said:
Even if your CPU would be broken, you should at least have the motherboard's lights on. I suggest you take everything out from your case and try build it on a table and see if is working. It might be a short-circuit.

Wow...The last thing i that i would have guessed would be wrong was wrong.
i reassembled my setup outside of the case and it worked...i also removed one of the stand off screws and i believe that fixed my problem.
now i have a spare mobo...im so glad i asked for some advice here, if not i would have an extra cpu as well.

Thanks again guys...i feel silly now...haha
August 5, 2009 9:52:33 AM

Quote:
Verify that the 2 pin case power button connector is connected correctly. Not all mobo manuals are clear on which is the + or - pin on the mobo, and btw; the red wire gets connected to the + pin on the mobo.

there is + or - for power switch. all it does is connects both.
a c 172 à CPUs
August 5, 2009 10:21:59 AM

chunkymonster wrote:
Not only must you use the mobo standoffs,
True. Everywhere there is a hole, you should have a standoff.

but experience has taught me to put little paper or plastic washers between the standoffs and the mobo as an extra cushion of insulation to eliminate any possible electric shorts.
Not needed. The little sunflower shaped bare pads surrounding the motherboar holes on both sides of the board are tied together. When you put a screw in to secure the motherboard, you are also grounding it.

Power and reset switches are not polarized. They have polarity markings, true, but the markings do not matter.

As Apache asked, what are your specs? Specifically what make and model of mobo, memory, proc, gpu, and brand and wattage of psu.
Yes, need specs.

Boot problems and new build checklist in case you haven't seen this:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261145_13_0.ht...

a c 265 à CPUs
August 5, 2009 3:39:04 PM

Good job on finding the problem shaun54.

I would not have thought that after 20 months of operation that some sort of a short would appear. Had the case been moved enough to cause this? Some motherboard shorts have been caused by using the wrong sets of screws to secure the notherboard. They used the ones with larger heads instead of the smaller ones.
August 5, 2009 3:45:03 PM

hefox said:

shaun54 said:
Wow...The last thing i that i would have guessed would be wrong was wrong.
i reassembled my setup outside of the case and it worked...i also removed one of the stand off screws and i believe that fixed my problem.
now i have a spare mobo...im so glad i asked for some advice here, if not i would have an extra cpu as well.

Thanks again guys...i feel silly now...haha

Hefox FTW! Nice job guys.
August 5, 2009 4:02:52 PM

Thank you.
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2009 4:30:43 PM

Did you try to power on by directly shorting the motherboard front panel power on pins using a screwdriver?

August 5, 2009 9:15:24 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
Did you try to power on by directly shorting the motherboard front panel power on pins using a screwdriver?

Please read threads before you reply. Already resolved.

That is all.
!