Sign in with
Your question

HTPC Build Questions

Last response: in Systems
April 30, 2009 9:44:10 PM

Hi, I'm trying to come up with a decent HTPC build (it will serve as a frontend/backend combo) for use with Mythbuntu. I'm thinking of using the SiliconDust HDHomerun for the TV tuner. I'm trying to keep the system a low power consumption (processor less than or equal to 65W), low heat unit using the mini ITX form factor. On one hand I'd kind of like a quad core processor, but I realize it's not absolutely necessary. Anyways, here are the builds I'm looking at:

AMD 9350e HTPC - Newegg doesn't carry the 9350e anymore, but that would be the processor that I would pair with the parts.

Intel e8400 HTPC

Intel e5200 HTPC

I'm also interested in the new Intel q8400s that are just coming out (or the q8200s since it should be getting a price drop).

Any opinion on what's a better integrated graphics solution (9300 vs. 8200)? Will the 250W PSU be enough? Will there be enough cooling without adding a fan? I'd like to avoid adding extra cooling or a bigger PSU if possible since it's supposed to be a low power, low heat build. Any other pointers or changes to the above would be appreciated.

More about : htpc build questions

April 30, 2009 9:49:29 PM

If it was me, I'd get the E5200 build (in fact, I've been considering a build very similar to the one you posted). It will have plenty of power for HTPC use unless you're going to be doing a lot of HD video editing with the system.
April 30, 2009 10:18:51 PM

Yeah a low heat low power low noise in the goal of a HTPC so unless you'll be doing a ton of encoding on it no reason to get a powerful cpu just one good enough to decode.
Related resources
April 30, 2009 11:32:49 PM

The Zotac 9300 ITX motherboard has a critical hardware flaw if you plan to wake the HTPC using a USB device (remote). In short, it can't wake up from S3 via USB.

I don't know if the 8200 AMD board has the same problem, but I thought you should know.

Check out this forum thread for more info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16154700&...
May 2, 2009 7:42:20 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
If it was me, I'd get the E5200 build (in fact, I've been considering a build very similar to the one you posted). It will have plenty of power for HTPC use unless you're going to be doing a lot of HD video editing with the system.

Any chance you could share the specs you're looking at for your build?
May 2, 2009 7:50:45 PM

rwpritchett said:
The Zotac 9300 ITX motherboard has a critical hardware flaw if you plan to wake the HTPC using a USB device (remote). In short, it can't wake up from S3 via USB.

I don't know if the 8200 AMD board has the same problem, but I thought you should know.

Check out this forum thread for more info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16154700&...

Thanks for the info, I had heard of that problem and there are (possibly) some ways around it, but if I use the box primarily as a PVR, I don't think it will be in S3 much; but it's hard to tell until I actually complete the build.
May 2, 2009 7:53:56 PM

I'm interested to know, if you had to choose a quad processor, what would you choose with the setups I've given?
!