Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 high idle & load temps help please

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 4, 2009 12:11:47 PM

Hi all, first post, but I've been reading many, many posts on Q6600 temps and I just wanted a few personal responses if you'd be so kind.

My problem is I have just bought a PC off Ebay and although the guy has been helpful we seem to differ when it comes to what idle / load temps should be for a Q6600 running at stock speed of 2.4ghz.

I have a Kandalf LCS VD4000 case, with upgraded Laing DDC1-T 10w pump and XSPC Acrylic Resevoir cooling CPU and Northbridge in one loop. Pump is running fine, water is cool and radiator is nice and cold, we're having a miserable summer in the UK so room temps are cool as well (plus I game at night usually as well, so much cooler anyway). So, no problems with water-cooling system.

Originally temps were idling at 45-55c and under load (gaming) were well into the 60s. Using Prime 95 gets cores up to 80c in less than a minute and I know that this is prime CPU frying territory, so I've stopped Prime almost straight away. Idle temps return very quickly once this is done though, indicating that cooling to an extent, is working. I have reduced CPU voltage which has got idle temps down to below 40c for one core (which runs around 7-10c cooler than others) but gaming has it pushing 60c (and well above this I imagine) and Prime still gets it towards 80c very, very quickly (less than a minute).

Obviously I was hoping that a liquid cooled PC would offer scope for overclocking, whereas I'm finding that i'm doing all I can to reduce idle temps at normal speeds!

I understand that I should be looking to reseat the Heatsink off the CPU using Artic Silver 5 paste, and hopefully this will reduce the temps. However, what sort of temps should I be aiming for with liquid cooling? I need a target so that I know I am on the right lines.

The case is very airy, big exhaust fans (2) and water cooling system is cold - with radiator positively ICY most of the time. If I reseat the heatsink hopefully everything will be OK, but what temps should I be getting (roughly).

Many thanks.

System Spec:

Intel Pentium Q6600 @2.4ghz
LAN PARTY LT X48 T2R MOTHERBOARD
OCZ 1010W MODULAR PSU GAME X STREAM SLI READY
OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 / 1066 MHz / Reaper HPC Edition / 4GB / Dual Channel
2 X WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 10000RPM 150 GIG hard drives
SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 4870 GRAPHICS CARD
CREATIVE X-FI XTREME GAMER FATALITY PROFESSIONAL SOUND CARD
Kandalf LCS VD4000 case
Laing DDC1-T 10w pump and XSPC Acrylic Resevoir
August 4, 2009 12:20:07 PM

Q6600 is 65nm and not the newer 45nm chips from Intel. Thus it will consume ~25W idle, while other quadcores are close to 5W. Thus, you won't get as low idle temps as other chips.

If your stressed temps exceed 80 degrees, either you installed the heatsink poorly, or its not capable of cooling your older quadcore chip sufficiently. Look for a new cooler with pre-applied Arctic Silver thermal paste.
August 4, 2009 12:29:51 PM

Hi, thanks for the response.

I have not installed the heatsink, the builder of the PC did, but I do intend to reseat it.

Presumably at stock speeds a liquid cooled system should be able to keep the chip cool enough. Other owners of the case have not reported any problems with the included heatsink.
!