Closed

USB Problem files not show up but are there

I have this rare issue with my storage usb 4gb, I used it very frecuenly in Internet caffes, i do regular stuff download music, music, etc, one day i went there and i insert my USB flash drive to the computer and some of the files were not there and my first reaction that was a virus but no virus were found on it, and when i click on properties all the files were there but for some reason i could not access them, i had some movies and some ilegal software ( jajaja like cracks and stuff ) i finaly got tired and delete all :cry: :fou: but just in case what should i do when this happends ??? :o
39 answers Last reply
More about problem files show there
  1. The first thing that I would try is a scan disk.
  2. Checked the computer first for viruses then do this:

1. Run cmd - Navigate to Accessories>Command Prompt (Run this with Admin rights)
    2. type attrib *.* X: -r -s -h /s /d (where X: is the drive, this is your flash drive letter)
    3. you can invoke other commands by typing attrib /?
  3. dEAne said:
    Checked the computer first for viruses then do this:

1. Run cmd - Navigate to Accessories>Command Prompt (Run this with Admin rights)
    2. type attrib *.* X: -r -s -h /s /d (where X: is the drive, this is your flash drive letter)

Thank you very much!!! It works!!!

I was able to recover 7 GB of backup files! God Bless you!
  4. dEAne said:

Thnx dear..
    Great solution but the command written is in wrong pattern
    it's actually is..
    X:\>attrib -r -s -h /s /d *.*
    enjoy!!
  5. dEAne said:

Thanks Brother... :) It really works...
  6. how do I run cmd on an HP ENVY dv6 Notebook PC
  7. dEAne said:

my drive name is G i followed your instructions but i get a response parameter format not correct. please help
  8. dxfil said:
    how do I run cmd on an HP ENVY dv6 Notebook PC

Try this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/783-elevated-command-prompt.html

Yogi
  9. dEAne said:

moeex said:
    dEAne said:

Thnx dear..
    it's actually is..
    enjoy!!

Anonymous said:
    dEAne said:

my drive name is G i followed your instructions but i get a response parameter format not correct. please help

Did you try the SECOND set of instructions which corrected the syntax of the first recommended command (above)?

Yogi
  10. hello? try this step if your in windows 7, Xp follow this go to explorer>click organize>click folder and search>click view>click show hidden files then unchecked the hide protected operating system files>click apply and ok. the try to look at your flash drive...Asif (Good Luck PHONE NUMBER REDACTED - SS):-)
  11. attrib -h -r -s /s /d H:\*.*
    Type the upper line in cmd, in order not to make any mistake copy the upper line.
    Note that H should be replaced by the name of the driver of flash memory you want to recover.
    it helped me a lot.
    Enjoy
  12. parham7 said:
    attrib -h -r -s /s /d H:\*.*
    Type the upper line in cmd, in order not to make any mistake copy the upper line.
    Note that H should be replaced by the name of the driver of flash memory you want to recover.
    it helped me a lot.
    Enjoy

Thank you so so so so so much!! :wahoo: I tried them all but this is the only one that worked for me. It was urgent because I needed to print a pic for my class but then It got a virus. >.< Damn. It always gets a virus when I use it at school. :(
  13. moeex said:
    dEAne said:

Thnx dear..
    it's actually is..
    enjoy!!

Thanks Dude!
  14. parham7 said:
    it helped me a lot.
    Enjoy

15. parham7 said:
    it helped me a lot.
    Enjoy

16. LOTS OF THANKS! Worked really OK!
  17. asifmahmood_08 said:
    Dear all frndz try this step if your in windows 7, Xp follow this go to explorer>click organize>click folder and search>click view>click show hidden files then unchecked the hide protected operating system files>click apply and ok. the try to look at your flash drive...Asif (+923004880682 Good Luck:-)

thanku soo much dude your solution worked :)
  18. moeex said:
    dEAne said:

Thnx dear..
    it's actually is..
    enjoy!!

19. I have a flash disk in drive F, when I type F:\>attrib -r -s -h /s /d *.* the files on my flash disk are shown. Thanks.
  20. dEAne said:

21. attrib is not an operational command
  22. Do the following
    1. Got to Run and open Cmd
    2. Type this command: attrib -h -r -s /s /d H:\*.* ( P.s that the H: is the drive name, do change it your existing drive)
    3. Press enter and it's done!
    Hope it works, it worked for me =) Have a nice day! xD
  23. moeex said:
    dEAne said:

Thnx dear..
    it's actually is..
    enjoy!!

THANK YOU, you saved me <3
  24. parham7 said:
    it helped me a lot.
    Enjoy

THANK YOU
  25. I have the same problem but none of the above commands are working for me.
    I have a stick drive 3.0 16Gb, operating on a Windows 8.
    I tried both run and run as admin and nothing.
    When I insert the drive it tells me to format it...
  26. tripmedia said:
    I have the same problem but none of the above commands are working for me.
    I have a stick drive 3.0 16Gb, operating on a Windows 8.
    I tried both run and run as admin and nothing.
    When I insert the drive it tells me to format it...

This is an old thread. Your best chance for a solution is to post your question in a new thread.
  27. adrialex said:
    parham7 said:
    it helped me a lot.
    Enjoy

Thank u very much. other commands are not working but this one works. Thanks alot again.
  28. dEAne said:

If number 2 does not work, please try this:
    ATTRIB -R -S -H X:/*.* /S /D (where X: is the drive letter of your flash drive)
  29. Hello everyone, I recently developed a problem with my USB stick. I was using it on one of my school computers and it was fine, i then switched lessons and used it again on another computer and it showed no files at all! i came home and tried some recovery software but that didn't work. so now i have tried this and it has showed some files now but they are all .CHK files. My computer is still showing space being taken up in the USB.
    Does anyone know how to fix this?
  30. parham7 said:
    it helped me a lot.
    Enjoy

Thanks so so much, other commands failed but this one work like magic for me. This is my first time on this site, I'll probably be frequenting it from now henceforth. Again, you saved my data .:)
  31. Thanks so so much, other commands failed but this one work like magic for me. This is my first time on this site, I'll probably be frequenting it from now henceforth. Again, you saved my data .:)
  32. Fearcreatingangel07 said:
    Do the following
    1. Got to Run and open Cmd
    2. Type this command: attrib -h -r -s /s /d H:\*.* ( P.s that the H: is the drive name, do change it your existing drive)
    3. Press enter and it's done!
    Hope it works, it worked for me =) Have a nice day! xD

This attrib working very well...tq so much
  33. thea17 said:
    parham7 said:
    it helped me a lot.
    Enjoy

Thank you so so so so so much!! :wahoo: I tried them all but this is the only one that worked for me. It was urgent because I needed to print a pic for my class but then It got a virus. >.< Damn. It always gets a virus when I use it at school. :(

lol the same cause with me
  34. thanks it worked

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*
  35. hello guys!
    nor working for me m getting this message [ 'attrib' is not recognized as a internal or external command, operable program or batch file.]
  36. mtokeyboard said:
    thanks it worked

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

IT WORKED. Wait a few minutes, if your usb is full, even more..
  37. asifmahmood_08 said:
    hello? try this step if your in windows 7, Xp follow this go to explorer>click organize>click folder and search>click view>click show hidden files then unchecked the hide protected operating system files>click apply and ok. the try to look at your flash drive...Asif (Good Luck PHONE NUMBER REDACTED - SS):-)

38. I used a exFAT system USB Drive on my windows7. Afterwards when I used my other USB drives (FAT32), I could not see any of the files.
    Thank you asifmahmood_08 for your helpful guide to someone which was very helpful to me too. Syed Tajamul Hussain
  39. SOLUTION FOR DUMMIES
    I tried this but it didn't work for my system although I see it worked for many people.

What I did was this:
    1.Open cmd with Admin permissions (i.e...
    a. Start-All Programs-Accessories-(Right click on "COMMAND PROMPT")-(Select "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR).
    2. Type in the name of the drive (e.g. type "F:") -without the inverted commas.
    3. Type "attrib -r-a-s-h" - also without the inverted commas
    4. Wait for it to run.

Then access the drive again,, you should have the hidden files showing.
Ask a new question