Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Any [good] way to unstick stock HSF from 4850e?

Last response: in CPUs
a c 136 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 4, 2009 2:17:56 PM

Last night I removed the 4850e from my secondary machine, and found it virtually glued to its HSF, the stock AMD one (with stock paste). The HSF did not twist in the least, but pulled the chip out of the socket. On examination, they appear to be glued together. I may want to re-use the chip, so I want to separate them. Might dribbling some 91% alcohol on it loosen it up, can a dull knife be used to pop it free without cracking the chip, or is this essentially a lost cause due to the nature of the pre-applied thermal material that AMD uses on the stock HSF?
Thanks.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2009 3:39:48 PM

Does the chip has IHS? IF so you may be able to use a knife (I did, after a S939 rig had a similar issue, and it was with AS5 that was 3 years old lol)

I was able to do that since my chip has the IHS and if your chip is "naked" then you may damage the core by doing this.
m
l

Best solution

August 4, 2009 4:05:40 PM

Try a few drops of Acetone nail polish remove then use a flat screwdriver to pop them apart. I have this issue frequently (teaches me for helping out co-workers).
Related resources
August 4, 2009 4:38:21 PM

Onus said:
Last night I removed the 4850e from my secondary machine, and found it virtually glued to its HSF, the stock AMD one (with stock paste). The HSF did not twist in the least, but pulled the chip out of the socket. On examination, they appear to be glued together. I may want to re-use the chip, so I want to separate them. Might dribbling some 91% alcohol on it loosen it up, can a dull knife be used to pop it free without cracking the chip, or is this essentially a lost cause due to the nature of the pre-applied thermal material that AMD uses on the stock HSF?
Thanks.

Ahh yes. I wish I could have seen the look on my face the first time I accidentally pulled a CPU out of the socket because of a very glued HSF. I'm sure the look was priceless.

I've never had one stuck that bad, I was able to twist off the few I've encountered.

Some folks recommend putting it back in there and running the machine, run some kind of bench that will max out the CPU, and then shut it down and try really quick to remove it. (Don't try to remove it while it is running of course.)
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2009 4:53:39 PM

You might try heating your oven up to about 200 F, then shutting it OFF. Then place CPU and HSF on a towel on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven for a bit. It will warm up the thermal mat and may allow it to come loose.
m
l
August 4, 2009 5:08:10 PM

dirtmountain said:
You might try heating your oven up to about 200 F, then shutting it OFF. Then place CPU and HSF on a towel on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven for a bit. It will warm up the thermal mat and may allow it to come loose.

At first I thought you were joking, but then I realized you were serious and thought it over, your idea is actually pretty good (I wouldn't go any higher than 200F). I would maybe try lower temps first. This might be better than reinstalling it into the PC.
m
l
a c 136 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 4, 2009 5:11:01 PM

I took it out warm, but the bond was not the least bit gummy; no apparent softness at all. I think I will try the nail polish remover.
fwiw, I used AS5 on the 720BE that replaced it, with a Ninja Mini. Apparently there is (or was?) a nice HSF with copper heat pipes that comes with SOME 720BEs, but I got the crappy aluminum one, so it will stay in its box.

Oh, and thanks for the replies. I will post results.
m
l
August 4, 2009 5:15:34 PM

Onus said:
Oh, and thanks for the replies. I will post results.

Not a problem. We appreciate it when the OPs give us results. Too many times do we pour out advice but then never get to hear what happens!
m
l
a c 136 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 5, 2009 11:08:53 PM

We didn't have any acetone, so I used a Q-Tip to liberally apply 91% alcohol around all four sides. After a moment I was able to twist it off, with no visible damage anywhere. AMD had applied a perfect layer, there was no airspace anywhere. After I got it off, I compared it to the one that came with my 720BE; the 4850e one was definitely bigger, and I think heavier. "Whatever..."
m
l
August 6, 2009 3:32:04 AM

Onus said:
We didn't have any acetone, so I used a Q-Tip to liberally apply 91% alcohol around all four sides. After a moment I was able to twist it off, with no visible damage anywhere. AMD had applied a perfect layer, there was no airspace anywhere. After I got it off, I compared it to the one that came with my 720BE; the 4850e one was definitely bigger, and I think heavier. "Whatever..."

Thanks for the update. I'm glad everything worked out for you!
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2009 12:54:05 PM

the new save on HSF deal by AMD is just cheap, but htye they are cutting costs lol.....

its good that the days of netburst style hotties are behind the non OCing crowd, or else imagine if intel had cut the HSF on that sucker
m
l
!