CPU Multiplier keeps going down?

IAreKyleW00t

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Alright, so here's basically what happened.

I overclocked my AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE to 4.0GHz (20x200MHz). When I run Prime95 the temperature obviously goes up. But now once it reached ~46C it automatically drops the multiplier from x20 (4.0GHz) all the way to x4 (800MHz). I've disabled CnQ, C1E, Spread Spectrum and Turbo. Is there something I'm missing, because I don't recall seeing this before.. Any help please? :sweat:

OVERCLOCK SETTINGS (if needed)
Core Speed: 4.01GHz
Multiplier: 20
FSB: 200MHz
DRAM Freq: 1600Mhz
HT: Auto
NB: Auto
CPU Voltage: 1.425v
CPU/NB: Auto (1.15v)
DRAM Voltage: 1.65v
Turbo: Disabled
C1E: Disabled
CoolnQuiet: Disabled
Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU LLC: Enabled

*IF YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION PLEASE TELL ME!*

acer0169

Distinguished
What program are you using to view the core speed?

My 1090T sometimes shows at stupidly low speeds or that my FSB is at 89 or something instead of 200Mhz.. but I found this only to be the case in Everest Ultimate or Aida64. CPU-Z shows my core at the correct speed no matter how much I stress it, where as Prime + Aida always shows my CPU running at 1.6GHz or something silly.

It's a software issue with reading speeds.. your CPU isn't actually dropping.

IAreKyleW00t

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

I'm using CPU-Z and Core Temp, on a different forum I asked the same question and almost everyone said my MOSFET's where overheating, so I bought a spot cool fan and that seemed to help a little bit... Do you have any ideas? because both CPU-Z and Core Temp will show it going down to x4.

acer0169

Distinguished
Hmm, that is strange then. On CPU-Z on mine it's always rock-steady, it's only a couple of applications that show different. Not really sure what could cause this.. I'm also not sure if MOSFETs overheating would lower your clock and not just crash or lock your system or something. Is it only if you stress the CPU that it drops? It never spikes does it (jumps higher than expected instead of lower)?

IAreKyleW00t

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

I've dropped the OC from 4.0GHz to 3.9GHz and it took longer for it to drop. And it's never spiked either... I bought a SpotCool fan and it took longer for them to drop.

IAreKyleW00t

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

I never overclock with a Program, only in the BIOS.