Best mobo / ram to go with this rig?

cpu: amd phenom ii 720

gpu: radeon hd 4890

case: antec 300

psu: antec ea650

not gonna OC or use dual graphics card
12 answers Last reply
More about best mobo
  1. PIIs take advantage of 1066 RAM and should use it if you can.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289

EA650 is a bit overkill for the config, but it's a nice PSU.

770 is probably a pretty good choice for the MB, unless you wanted an onboard GPU as well.
  2. Proximon said:
    PIIs take advantage of 1066 RAM and should use it if you can.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289

+1

That CAS 5 DDR2 800 RAM linked above isn't a good match for that system at all.
  3. I have used, built and tested AMD rigs and i have found no difference w/e between 800 and 1066 for a real world desktop environment. If one required extra headroom for OC fair enough In fact most of clients upgrade to 1066 with this misconception and end up having issues getting their 1066 to run at 1066 due to lack of experience!
  4. batuchka said:
    I have used, built and tested AMD rigs and i have found no difference w/e between 800 and 1066 for a real world desktop environment. If one required extra headroom for OC fair enough In fact most of clients upgrade to 1066 with this misconception and end up having issues getting their 1066 to run at 1066 due to lack of experience!

Using DDR2 1066 RAM on an AMD build has nothing to do with overclocking. The integrated RAM controller benefits from the additional bandwidth without overclocking the CPU, unlike Intel Core 2 chips.
  5. More trouble than worth if just running at stock from my experience Way too much frustration by peeps not getting 1066 to run as advertised if you read feedback ^^
  6. We'll have to agree to disagree. This isn't helping the OP. DDR2 1066 has never been a problem for any of my builds. A Phenom II really deserves RAM that will take full advantage of the CPU's built-in RAM controller IMO.
  7. Haha ah well leave it to Op then - not that much more anyway
  8. is it better to go with a mobo that supports ddr3 ram and go with ddr3? or stick with ddr2 ram? is there a big difference?

also, what does it mean when a mobo comes with an onboard gpu?
  9. Well thats up to you but the gains from DDR2-->DDR3 aren't great. Onboard GPU means the integrated graphics that is available on certain chipsets/motherboards Example you have a GF8200 on 750a , HD3200 on 780G, and HD3300 on 790GX
  10. so no point in getting a mobo with an onboard gpu if im getting the radeon hd4890 right?
  11. Only to serve as backup. Not a big deal for sure.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Antec Systems Product