Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Overclocking an i5-650 + Corsair H70, board recommendations

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 13, 2011 12:04:29 PM

Hi Guys,

I've never overclocked before but I would like to build a High end overclocked monster for a friend. It was supposed to be based on balck and red theme and I was gong for a Maximus Formula III 1156 full ATX board. Component list so far

CPU: Intel Core i5-650 3.2Ghz (bought)
Card: Asus GTX 480 (bought)
Power supply: Thernmaltake 650W (bought)
Ram: G.Skill Trident 6GB PC-16000 (bought)
Case: Jeantech Unicorn (bought) + 4 Red LED case Fans(buying prob Xsilence)
LG Blue Ray Writer: 10xwrite (bought)
Cooling: Corsair H70 (bought)
Mouse: Razer Lachesis (new version, bought)
Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X6(bought)

Total Build cost so far: £675

All top end gear, only thing I would say that the jeantech can't touch Antec for Internal case build.

The mobo was supposed to be a Maximus Formula III based on the black and red theme. I was hoping to overclock to about 4-4.2Ghz, however I have been told that the Maximus is very tricky to overclock.

Options ditch the mobo in favour of......? (any1 else do a balcj and red theme mobo apart from Biostar?

Or keep existing choice, ypour opinions welcome
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2011 6:26:37 PM

I like the look of the ASUS P7P55D Deluxe. I'm an AMD follower, but have planned out a few fantasy builds (because I'm cool like that ¬_¬) and the P7P55D I think looks like a great board for an i5 build.
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2011 6:49:33 PM

that board is rock solid,

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/asus...

in this article it display how it was a pleasure to overclock on this board,

so i can recommand it personally,

well id take it over the p7p55d but it comes down to choice, id recommand the gene 111 instead
Related resources
February 13, 2011 10:16:09 PM


---->well id take it over the p7p55d but it comes down to choice, id recommand the gene 111 instead[/quotemsg]

Any reason for the Gene rather then the full ATX
February 13, 2011 10:18:20 PM

acer0169 said:
I like the look of the ASUS P7P55D Deluxe. I'm an AMD follower, but have planned out a few fantasy builds (because I'm cool like that ¬_¬) and the P7P55D I think looks like a great board for an i5 build.


Thanks for the info but I think I have got my heart set on this Black and Red Theme. I'll post some pics once the build is complete plus Im hoping this RPOG connect might make things easier for an overclock virgin!
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2011 9:10:16 PM

shur go ahead, u know u can choose which one suits u better, the gene 3 is just a good solid board, that overclocks well, thats why i recommanded it :p 
a c 183 K Overclocking
February 16, 2011 1:56:56 AM

Your ram choice strikes me as funny since most 6GB kits are tri-channel kits.
Most 1156 builds have 4 or 8 GB ram dual channel ram.
You may want to double check that.
February 16, 2011 9:32:27 AM

Your quite right, its tri channel. I thought the full size board would have support tri-channel (have 6 slots) like the Asus P6T, but it only has 4.

Would The perfomance be equivalent to 50% better then 4GB or will the other single ram run at half the speed, giving a 25% perfomance increase over 4GB.

Let me know because I might change ram to Corsair Dominator GT 8GB 4x2GB.

Everything is here apart fom PSU.
February 16, 2011 11:54:57 AM

Depending on your normal usage, whether you use a lot of heavy weight programs, you might see a difference in 8gb vs 4gb. For normal gaming, I have never seen my 4gb been fully utilised.

In dual channel vs triple channel, ie 1156 vs 1366, there is a difference due to a larger bandwidth in tri channel. This is not so in 1155 due to sb architecture. However, it will only appear faster in tri channel 6gb vs dual 4 gb as you will not notice any significant improvement above that. I suggest you get a 4gb ram kit with tighter timings(cl7 or 8).
February 16, 2011 11:58:35 AM

And 1156 only supports dual channel.
a c 183 K Overclocking
February 17, 2011 1:12:14 AM

scampy_008 said:
Your quite right, its tri channel. I thought the full size board would have support tri-channel (have 6 slots) like the Asus P6T, but it only has 4.

Would The perfomance be equivalent to 50% better then 4GB or will the other single ram run at half the speed, giving a 25% perfomance increase over 4GB.

Let me know because I might change ram to Corsair Dominator GT 8GB 4x2GB.

Everything is here apart fom PSU.

Exchange the tri-channel kit for a dual channel kit=kinda obvious
4GB is fine but with ram prices so cheap you might as well go for 8.
When i built my 1156 rig in early 2010 ram prices were double.
I would take advantage of it.
Plus 8GB is becoming the norm for 1156/1155 rigs because of the pricing.
a c 183 K Overclocking
February 17, 2011 1:18:07 AM

Can't edit on the UK site!
Bloody hell!
tri-channel is made for 1366
1156/1155 can't take advantage of the extra lane.
From my understanding if you use only two modules of the tri-channel it will work in dual channel no problem.
As soon as you add the 3 ram module all modules will run as single channel.
So ya exchange it mate!
a c 183 K Overclocking
February 17, 2011 1:27:26 AM

Also kind of a stinky psu choice if it's a TR2 RX model they're terrible.
I wouldn't power my gear with one.Noise and ripple is awful and the 750 could only deliver 550W.
Here's the review for the 750W TR2 RX.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-...
February 18, 2011 10:52:37 AM

Sorted,
Will change to Duall channel 4 or 8GB,
Any intertersted in some 6GB (3x2GB) G.Gkill Trident at £85?
As for PSU, im still waiting for it turn up, it was bought with the card GTX480 and the the Ram. I'll confirm the model when its here, he said it had customised braided cables(black/red). Should be with me tuesday latest!
Can't wait to get stuck i, I do have an everest 85+ 600 Knocking around, but dont want to set it up chnage the PSu and chage OC settings again.
a c 183 K Overclocking
February 18, 2011 5:52:08 PM

scampy_008 said:
Sorted,
Will change to Duall channel 4 or 8GB,
Any intertersted in some 6GB (3x2GB) G.Gkill Trident at £85?
As for PSU, im still waiting for it turn up, it was bought with the card GTX480 and the the Ram. I'll confirm the model when its here, he said it had customised braided cables(black/red). Should be with me tuesday latest!
Can't wait to get stuck i, I do have an everest 85+ 600 Knocking around, but dont want to set it up chnage the PSu and chage OC settings again.

If the psu is an XT or Grand series they're quite good.
No worries in that case!
February 25, 2011 3:16:48 AM

davcon said:
Also kind of a stinky psu choice if it's a TR2 RX model they're terrible.
I wouldn't power my gear with one.Noise and ripple is awful and the 750 could only deliver 550W.
Here's the review for the 750W TR2 RX.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-...



The power supply came through, its actually a lot better than I thought

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1344&ID=19...

Its the Thermaltake toughpower 875W


The sytems built and ready to go, damn thing would not boot, had to scale down to an i3 and the update the bios so the CPU would run, pain in backside, has the RMA ready, thought I might give it one last shot before RMA'ing it to aria.

Going to a start a new thread for the overclock, look out for it
a c 183 K Overclocking
February 25, 2011 11:11:32 AM

scampy_008 said:
The power supply came through, its actually a lot better than I thought

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1344&ID=19...

Its the Thermaltake toughpower 875W


The sytems built and ready to go, damn thing would not boot, had to scale down to an i3 and the update the bios so the CPU would run, pain in backside, has the RMA ready, thought I might give it one last shot before RMA'ing it to aria.

Going to a start a new thread for the overclock, look out for it

Sweet scampy_008 ! XT psu's as i said before are pretty good.:) 
Bummer about the no-post,i'll look for the new thread.


February 25, 2011 4:37:39 PM

davcon said:
Sweet scampy_008 ! XT psu's as i said before are pretty good.:) 
Bummer about the no-post,i'll look for the new thread.


Its cool, what I did was put an i3(from an old system) in the Maximus and it booted first time, updated the bios (it was a pretty old version) and the when I tried the i5 it booted and gave me a post, installed the OS etc last night, now im ready to overclock.

I did post last night re: Overclock but did not get any replies.

The whole concept is new to me and im learning as im going along, any pointers, tips, tricks or common sense would be appreciated!
!