How to overclock on a prebuilt?

G

I have an HP pre-built PC the a6021.me , most parts are upgraded, here are my specs:

300W Lite-on PSU with 18A on the 12v rail.

Pentium D 925 3.00Ghz

GT 240 1GB DDR3

2GB DDR2 800 RAM + 512MB DDR2 667, 2.5GB

Here is my motherboard and all the specs, the mobo is the same but with out the Integrated Graphics controller and VGA out.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00980623&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3422116&key=null&site=null#N1288

Anyways, the BIOS is blank, it's an American Megatrends custom made for HP, it's not that I can't change the options, it's that there ARE NO options, so I can't overclock through the BIOS or do anything, and I have to do so through the FSB, which I haven't done before,

I need to know a software or something I can use to overclock through the OS, is this possible?

PLEASE don't tell me to upgrade, if I could I would have, I'm 14 and I blew all my money on a GT 240, I had to get the 240 because I have a 300w PSU.

IAreKyleW00t

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
You don't. Simple as that, because it's pre-build it most likely has a "locked" BIOS, meaning you can't overclock or change any settings. Another thing would be that it probably has crappy fans and a bad heat sink, so it would be pretty bad to overclock because you'll probably over heat. BUT if you really wanted to try, I would use AMD's; AMD OverDrive Tool. You probably won't get far so don't expect much...

Good luck, hope this helps!

G

I can overclock every thing else through 3rd party software in the OS.

G

I know all of that for sure, I'm getting AMD overdrive; it's installing now, can it even control the FSB?

IAreKyleW00t

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I know all of that for sure, I'm getting AMD overdrive; it's installing now, can it even control the FSB?
Yes it can control the Multiplier, FSB, Voltage. The whole 9-yards. Highly doubt your CPU will allow it though.

Overdrive didn't work, no support, anything else?
If AMD Overdrive didn't work nothing will. You'll need a new motherboard the doesn't have a locked BIOS. You can get some cheapy ones for around $40 if you look a little.

G

Overdrive just said' failed to start'

Do you know any other software?

Yeah, you can overclock that rig.

Download and use SetFBS, that's your only option to overclock that rig.

AMD Overdrive only works with mobo chipset AMD 770 or better and NOT Intel CPUs

PD: Tom's hardware group, Tom's hardware owner or me AREN'T responsible if you damage your hardware trying to overclock it, that's your own choice and responsibility.

G

SetFSB supports every single motherboard in the world except mine; in the ECS livermore list, my model number is only supported in the paid version.
Any other software?

As for every one saying don't or you can't, let me just tell you that I KNOW,
I may be 14 but I'm not a noob, I know everything I need to know about overclocking, cooling etc.

I know that I can overclock it yet I have to do so through the OS and the FSB, I just need a program that can do so,
The makers of SetFSB stopped at version 2.2 and made 2.3 for money due to insufficient funding, and now the project is frozen due to the fact that no one's buying 2.3.
So I need an alternative software and keep in mind that:

I'm an advanced computer user
I know the risks; in fact I fried 2 GPUs before. I know about my cooling and every thing, my CPU fan is at 20% on full load so I have the potential to go for a 3.2 at least.
Now I just need a free over clocking software and can't find one.
I ask this question because I have worked with pre-builts all my life and decided that I never will again so I haven't used over clocking software or ever entered the "world of overclocking"

Nearly every one in this community has their CPU overclocked so just want to know if you people know any software.

99% people on this forum, and 99% of overclockers don't use pre-build rigs.

Since SetFBS isn't supported by your mobo, I give you a more "diplomatic" solution: buy a cheap used mobo that support your CPU and overclock it.

2 GPUS? you have a long way to walk...

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
You are a power user but you don't know how to google.
Here is the answer to your question.Flash the bios with one with unlocked oc options.
BIOS link here
Your age isn't an excuse for not acting intelligently.

G

Flash the BIOS?
That isn't even my mobo, mine is the 945GCT-HM that one is 945GCT-M (V1.0)
The "H" version is only for HPs and the ECS website doesn't have it only the HP site has it.

My motherboard also looks different than that, it's only got 1 PCI-E x16 lane,
The "H" means that HP f***ed the motherboard and sold at double the price to save money,

Maybe that BIOS will work on that motherboard but, they are different, I may get errors and screw up the BIOS rom, it's not that I really care about this old thing, it's that I have no other computer at the moment and there are 5 people sharing this PC and I can't upgrade because I don't have $$$, I spend the last of it on a GT 240, not to mention that I live in the UAE, higher prices for anything related to tech.

My (twin) brother is a video game geek who plays on a PS3. SO, he doesn't care.
My mom doesn't use the computer hardly ever and if it can open e-mails it's enough for her because she doesn't use the computer for other than web browsing. SO, she doesn't care.
My sister plays flash games and this PC can handle them. SO, she doesn't care
My dad uses his computer at work. SO, he doesn't care.

I need my computer to handle video editing, rendering, 3-D animation and stuff because that's what I' interested in and this computer has been halting me for too long.

G

I fried one of them on purpose, I got it from a friend for free and tested on it and the other, a 7300 LE when I OCed it by 50MHz, it ran at 65 degrees idle, I was glad it got fried, that's why I got a GT 240.

I can get about $50 if I wanted but I can't find any place to buy, all websites don't have international shipping, I live in the UAE in the middle east.

If there isn't any program that you know other than SetFSB, don't waste your time, I don't think that there is anything else, I've been looking for weeks.

I think I should just forget it and learn to live on a Pentium in 2011.

Your Pentium D would not make any difference even if it was 3.8GHz really. The netburst arch is crap and scales horribly all it does is create extra heat with very very little improvement. So do not flash Bios and really stop trying to OC that rig before you end up bricking your system then you will have nothing.

G

Whatever then, just end this thread here. I can live with it, I have for four years. So dramatic lol, anyways whatever then :)