Sign in with
Your question

DVD/CD Rewritable crashes comp

Last response: in Storage
December 16, 2010 12:54:39 AM

Hello,
I just put together a computer. When I use the DVD/CD drive, sometimes it reads/writes to the CD/DVD fine other times it causes the computer to reboot. No error is given. I have tried 2 DVD/CD drives(both a SATA and an older IDE), so I don't think it is that. I also have a 600 watt PS that is only powering the MB, CPU, 2 case fans. Any ides?
a b G Storage
December 16, 2010 1:33:35 AM

I think I would try figuring if an ODD is causing the problem. Maybe disconnect the SATA ODD and see if you get the reboot from the the IDE. If not, re-connect the SATA and disconnect the IDE. If it happens with both, it is possible that your burning software has become corrupted - you could try a "repair" install of that, or uninstall/re-install it.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2010 2:20:07 AM

Treefrog07 has some good advice. I would also be checking the RAM... download and run MEMTEST.
m
l
December 19, 2010 1:36:26 AM

Update - I tried different DVD's and CD's and got them to read/write. So it appears some of those may be partly to blame. I went to install a program from a DVD and it caused the computer to crash. I have a laptop and they installed fine. I have also installed programs from CD and not had an issue.

I think I will take frog's advice and put in a different drive and see what happens.....thanks for the reply
m
l
!