Phenom II x3 720
2x2gb DDR3
Galaxy GTX260 896mb
Tagan 500w PSU
500gb SATA
4x8cm fans
Vista 32bit
Not overclocked.

firstly, forgive my ignorance - While I am able to build a PC/fix minor hardware problems, I am by no means an expert.

12V seems to high, way beyond the recommended 5% tolerance level.

Which 12V is this? My 24pin has 12V as does the 8 pin - both are connected to my motherboard.

The 8pin connector was too wide, so I had to get an adapter for it, is this likely to be the cause of the high voltage reading?

I have used Everest Ultimate and HWMonitor to test the voltage and they both gave similar readings - while stress testing with Everest the 12V averaged 14.80.

I took the entire PC back to the store where I bought most of the components - they tested it with the trial version of Everest - which does not give a 12V reading, but they said they tested everything and the system is fine (they had the PC for a week and are likely to tell me where to stick it, if I bother them again, without some really concrete evidence of a faulty PSU)

I am not getting error messages, just now and then the PC turns itself off, and once it would not power up (no fans, nothing) for about 5 mins.

Also the BIOS reset itself once.

The temperatures dont seems too bad - what is marked as TMPIN1 on HWMonitor is marked as aux on Everest.

Is the shop I bought the PSU from really clueless? I did mention to them that the 12V was running at 14.something, but they didn't even use software to check the 12V let alone use a proper hardware PSU volt checker.

More about : psu 12v high

a c 144 ) Power supply
August 4, 2009 5:24:08 PM

Borrow a digital multimeter and measure the 12 volt line. Simplest place is on one of the molex connectors between the yellow and black wires.

No, the shop isn't clueless. They just do not want to risk having to change out your power supply.

You should have specified a better power supply.
m
l
August 4, 2009 6:00:26 PM

I will have to buy one, I don't know anyone who can lend me one.
Is a multimeter better than a PSU tester?
The PSU tester looks easier to use, but can it show full load voltages?
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
August 5, 2009 1:05:11 PM

I have a PSU tester. It's really handy, but it presents only a light load to the PSU. It cannot check a PSU under load.

The multimeter that I use at home (for computer and other stuff) was $20 from Sears.
m
l
!