Heatsink and motherboard - not happening

zeke_maggard

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Got an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 CPU and I'm using the stock heatsink. My motherboard is a ASROCK P45R2000-WiFi. Everything's working fine - I have Vista installed, but I opened up my case to check some *** out and realized that the heatsink was loose. The two pins toward the bottom of the case are secure, but the two towards the bottom can't be made secure, because there are some silver circular things in the way - I believe they're capacitors, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I think I need a new heatsink. If I do need a new one, how can I tell if it fits my motherboard?

bigfysh3

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
This may be as simple as turning the heatsink around. Is it possible that it was not installed properly?

I had to replace a heatsink/fam assembly,, I had to take my MB with me to get the right one.

zeke_maggard

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

The heatsink is exactly the same on the bottom no matter how I turn it

zeke_maggard

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

Yeah. We can get any two of the pin things to go into the motherboard - the sides, bottom, top.. but the other two won't.

zeke_maggard

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

I think the problem might also be the thermal paste being unevenly distributed on the CPU. The heatsink came with thermal paste already applied and when I put the heatsink on and off a few times it applied itself to the CPU - but not evenly. I'm not sure if it's making full contact when just two pins are in, but it's awful close, and maybe the random shutdowns are due to a lack of thermal paste on a portion of the CPU and if there was some there it wouldn't happen... I'm not sure