How can I prevent the game from running automatically when..

Every time I put the TS2 CD into my machine, the game starts to run
automatically. I've tried changing the Windows registry to turn off
auto-run on CDs, but it still happens. Anyone know how to prevent it?
Just because I put the CD back in the machine doesn't mean that I
immediately want to run the game.

Hmm - don't you just hold down the Shift key while the CD does its little
reading the disc routine? Is it Shift - maybe Ctrl? Hmmm - not too
helpful.

Best wishes
Maxon

Mxsmanic wrote:
> Every time I put the TS2 CD into my machine, the game starts to run
> automatically. I've tried changing the Windows registry to turn off
> auto-run on CDs, but it still happens. Anyone know how to prevent
it?
> Just because I put the CD back in the machine doesn't mean that I
> immediately want to run the game.

Go into the settings for the cd-drive (with the system or the control
panel thing), and there should be a thing called "Auto Insert
Notification". Turn that off, and it should do the trick.

Shift, though you may have to hold it for some time.

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori

MM

> Hmm - don't you just hold down the Shift key while the CD does its little
> reading the disc routine? Is it Shift - maybe Ctrl? Hmmm - not too
> helpful.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>
> "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Every time I put the TS2 CD into my machine, the game starts to run
> > automatically. I've tried changing the Windows registry to turn off
> > auto-run on CDs, but it still happens. Anyone know how to prevent it?
> > Just because I put the CD back in the machine doesn't mean that I
> > immediately want to run the game.
> >
> > --
> > Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me
directly.

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

> Every time I put the TS2 CD into my machine, the game starts to run
> automatically. I've tried changing the Windows registry to turn off
> auto-run on CDs, but it still happens. Anyone know how to prevent it?
> Just because I put the CD back in the machine doesn't mean that I
> immediately want to run the game.

It's normally holding the left Shift key that stops autorun on a
cd-by-cd basis in Winders. You do have to hold it for quite a while though.

Don't know about XP (if that's what you're running) but in the other Win
OSes the option is generally called something like "auto insert
notification" in the cd drive properties. Can't remember the exact
details, since I turned it off years ago when I last installed Windows,
and haven't touched it since.

HTH.

CK

Maxon writes:

> Hmm - don't you just hold down the Shift key while the CD does its little
> reading the disc routine? Is it Shift - maybe Ctrl? Hmmm - not too
> helpful.

In theory, yes; but the PC and the keyboard are not that close together,
and it takes a long time for the PC to read the CD and decide to do with
it--I never know how long to hold the key.

Mxsmanic wrote:
> Every time I put the TS2 CD into my machine, the game starts to run
> automatically. I've tried changing the Windows registry to turn off
> auto-run on CDs, but it still happens. Anyone know how to prevent it?
> Just because I put the CD back in the machine doesn't mean that I
> immediately want to run the game.

Not that it will answer your question, but why do you not want it to run
when you put the CD in? Why don't you just put the CD in when you want to
play, or just leave it in the drive?

strider

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:40:59 +0200, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Every time I put the TS2 CD into my machine, the game starts to run
>automatically. I've tried changing the Windows registry to turn off
>auto-run on CDs, but it still happens. Anyone know how to prevent it?
>Just because I put the CD back in the machine doesn't mean that I
>immediately want to run the game.

If it's Windows XP just go to My Computer and the CD icon, select
properties then autoplay, choose no action for every content type,
that should do it.

Strider writes:

> If it's Windows XP just go to My Computer and the CD icon, select
> properties then autoplay, choose no action for every content type,
> that should do it.

I tried it. It doesn't work.

Will Bradshaw writes:

> Not that it will answer your question, but why do you not want it to run
> when you put the CD in? Why don't you just put the CD in when you want to
> play, or just leave it in the drive?

I usually leave it in the drive, but if I want to play a music CD or a
DVD, I have to remove it. When I'm done, I put the Sims CD back into
the drive so that it's always there if I want to play the game--but I
don't necessarily want it to start up the game _right then_.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:09:33 +0200, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Will Bradshaw writes:
>
>> Not that it will answer your question, but why do you not want it to run
>> when you put the CD in? Why don't you just put the CD in when you want to
>> play, or just leave it in the drive?
>
>I usually leave it in the drive, but if I want to play a music CD or a
>DVD, I have to remove it. When I'm done, I put the Sims CD back into
>the drive so that it's always there if I want to play the game--but I
>don't necessarily want it to start up the game _right then_.

For XP, try this:

Click Start, Run, type in regedit, click OK.

In regedit, navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Services
Cdrom
(these above are all folders on the left-hand pane)

Once you are in Cdrom, look in the right-hand pane for the value
called AutoRun (If it isn't there, make it by selecting Edit --> New
--> DWORD Value, and type "AutoRun" for the name). Double click this,
change the value to 0 (zero), click OK and you're done. Might have to
reboot for it to take effect, I don't remember.

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

>> Hmm - don't you just hold down the Shift key while the CD does its little
>> reading the disc routine? Is it Shift - maybe Ctrl? Hmmm - not too
>> helpful.
>
> In theory, yes; but the PC and the keyboard are not that close together,
> and it takes a long time for the PC to read the CD and decide to do with
> it--I never know how long to hold the key.

You could always put something on the left Shift key before you get up
to put the cd in then, if that's a problem.

And I generally just hold down the key till the cd drive has stopped
doing anything. I did used to let go of the key too soon, thinking I'd
held it long enough, only to have the cd perk up and autoplay. Argh!

HTH.

CK

byte me ;) writes:

> Once you are in Cdrom, look in the right-hand pane for the value
> called AutoRun (If it isn't there, make it by selecting Edit --> New
> --> DWORD Value, and type "AutoRun" for the name). Double click this,
> change the value to 0 (zero), click OK and you're done. Might have to
> reboot for it to take effect, I don't remember.

I tried it and it didn't work--but it's true that I haven't rebooted.
Hmm.