Make your own Thermal Paste

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
The suggestion to make one's own thermal paste out of Vicks Vaporub, toothpaste, or any other OTC product is ignorant and dangerous.
I don't have time to enumerate all of the reasons why, but here are the foremost:
Some of the products mentioned will actually glue the heatsink to the CPU.
ALL are electrically conductive - something some thermal pastes are also which is to be avoided.
WHY would you risk a $200 CPU, and perhaps a $200 MOBO and ram along with it...
...in order to save $10.

Spreading the above type of misinformation harms everyone.

G

LOL, that is ***, buy your self some AS5 for 10 bucks and get 10 times the performance.

I've seen how to make a projector, how to make a wifi range extender and how to make stuff that cost money, but the best thermal pastes are 10 bucks, you are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cheap.

Regardless of saving 10 bucks, that thermal paste would be worse than a layer of air.

Stay away from this stuff!

I actually watched it. Wow. Soooo bad. He proves it works because it's better than no paste... I shouldn't have to say what's flawed with that.

He says "you could grind up some metal or silver, real fine, and put it in" holy ***... that's retarded. Clearly he has no idea how to get a metal powder.

There's some other stuff too but anyway...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can get generic/decent performing paste at most electronics stores, or for less than $15 online.

There is no reason you would even need to consider making your own paste. If you can't afford an extra $10, maybe you should wait for another paycheck to roll in before firing up your new PC build. (hell, most CPU coolers come with stuff on it already, that would be better than homemade)

EDIT: This is how misinformation gets started and spread. Someone will find this and assume that since it's posted in a thread, it is worthy knowledge.

OP- PLEASE edit this to remove the link or update that this information is bogus. Why would you EVER use a TIM made of Vaporub (petroleum based) plus cornstarch+water?

d0gr0ck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009

Every time someone watches that video a chemist dies. This is on the level of pouring gasoline into those red solo cups.