Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would Anyone Explain How to Overclock my CPU?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 13, 2011 9:58:23 PM

Greetings All,

I hope this question isn't too terribly naive as to irritate the more experienced IT folks here. Would anyone be willing to explain overclocking to me, along with an explanation of what overclocking does, and how to properly overclock my CPU? As a reference, I have a Sony VAIO VPCF136FM (Intel i7, running Windows 7).

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

More about : explain overclock cpu

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2011 11:34:44 PM

Ok first off you can't overclock a laptop. Overclocking is running your cpu over its standard clock speed example my I7 930 desktop is running at 4.0 Ghz its standard stock speed is 2.8.
m
l
a c 233 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
February 13, 2011 11:39:58 PM

+1 ^

Overclocking generates extra heat that laptops can not deal with. Only high end specialty gaming laptops can be overclocked at all and even then not as much as a desktop can.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2011 10:37:08 AM

Not on a laptop

1. Your BIOS will be locked anyways
2. Your laptop is not prepared to handle the heat. Those mobile i7s run hot enough at stock. Laptop power supplies are only built to certain power specifications too which an overclocked CPU would require more of
m
l

Best solution

February 17, 2011 11:15:25 AM

When chips are manufactured, it's not like they are limited to speeds of say, 2.8 GHz. Manufacturing a chip is something like printing a chip design. A wafer (large piece of silicon) has many chips 'printed' on it, which are then cut and then made into a processor.

Theoretically, there's no limit to the maximum clock speed of a processor. Which means theoretically, you should be able to run a Pentium 2 at 100 GHz. But the problem is heat. When you try to run a chip at too high clocks, it produces a lot of heat, and consumes a lot of power.

So what happens is that all chips on a wafer are of varying quality. The chips in the center are the highest quality products. They consume the least power and produce the least heat. They are put into portable devices like laptops.

The chips surrounding those in the center have higher heat production and power consumption, so they are packed for desktops, which have the ability to handle these high values.

Then depending on market conditions, manufacturing costs etc., hardware capability, chips are shipped out with different default clock rates (the numbers in GHz).

Say if the demand for i5 2400 is way too high, they just have to disable the multipliers and reduce the clock rate of i5 2500K, and then they can ship it as a i5 2400. Or if a chip 'meant' to be packed as i5 2500K is producing high heat and consuming high power, its clock rate is reduced and it's shipped as i5 2400.

What overclockers do is try to increase clock rate by adding better cooling etc. (to compensate for increase in heat, increase in power consumption is not so problematic from a desktop perspective) so as to get more speed at the same price.
February 25, 2011 1:05:34 AM

Best answer selected by The Admiral.
m
l
!