Windows 98/2000/XP system issues

crb41479

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Hi,

I'm working with a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P with an Intel P45 Core 2 Extreme. I have an ATI X800 video card in there, w/a 630W RAIDMAX power supply.

While trying to install Windows 98, I kept getting an error saying that the CD rom device was not detected.
Any suggestions?

While trying to install Windows 2000, it freezes during the installation. It says "please wait" on a Windows screen and the installation hangs.

Is the fact that the video card isn't AGP causing the issue? Is there a good work around? I want to triple boot the system so that I can run some old software.

Thanks

There may be lots of issues here .

I suspect you have a SATA CD drive? Theres no way a boot floppy that you are using is going to recognize that .

Even if you install an IDE cd drive the total installed RAM will cause problems for Win 98 since theres enough on the gfx card alone to more than max out the software . Even win Me can get flakey with more than 512 mb of RAM

And things are even worse if thats an original Win 98 and not the se version .

I have no idea why you have problems with 2k , but since 2k is ancient and so limited then Im not surprised you have problems

In 4 days time the RC of windows 7 will be free for download . If you need an OS try that instead

crb41479

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Thanks...I actually have 2 IDE CD drives. Do you think I have to change my boot order or something for the drive to be recognized for 98?

I have 4GB of memory, by the way. So you think that would cause it?

Also, I have a 1TB and a 250GB hard drive....perhaps I should put in a lower capacity one w/a FAT16 or FAT32 format?

Any idea why W2K would freeze?

Whatever hard drive you use on 98 will have to be FAT 32 .

The boot order needs to be floppy first. When the boot floppy has started all you need to know is the drive letter of the cd you are using .

Here is a full set of instructions
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win98/install98floppy/indexfullpage.htm

Before you try again I think you should uninstall all but 512 mb of RAM and also the second cd drive [ just pull the power lead ] . Do the same with the non-boot hard drive .
You will also find that you cannot use the full capacity of even the 250 gb drive , unless you create multiple partitions of less than about 125 GB

Win 98 was a brilliant OS but it is not going to be that useful in 2009

crb41479

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Thanks for the tips. I will try them. SHould I try and put in an older IDE drive to use exclusively for Win 98? Would I still be able to multiboot?

Also, do I need to make a boot disc of some kind for installing Windows 98 or will I be able to do it w/just the CD?

Any tips for my Win 2000 issue?

Thanks again!

I havent used 2k , and dont have any idea what could be causing your problems .

The only suggestion I have is once you get the machine sorted for 98 you try reinstalling 2k then .

You need a boot floppy to install 98 . It will have to be a boot floppy for 98 or Me , but preferrably 98 . The windows cd is NOT bootable .
A little bit of research on using the floppy to partition and format the hard drive :
http://www.bootdisk.com/

scroll down for the 98 guide

If you install a separate ide hard drive for 98 it would be a good idea to use one of 80 -120 GB . That will make partitioning easier . 2k is also very limited with partition size I believe .
To dual/ multi boot you could enter BIOS and change the boot order to the drive/OS you want to use . A bit clunky but very effective