Sign in with
Your question

Quick question to anyone else crossfiring

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2009 9:02:41 PM

Very quick question to anyone crossfiring - do both of your graphic card's fans quieten down to idle during boot-up, or does your second one spin quicker until the Windows drivers are loaded, then quieten down?

Background is I've recently added a second 4870 (1Gb) alongside my existing one (512Mb). Previously (when running one card), the card's fan would spin up for POST, then quieten to idle during boot-up until Windows kicked in. Since crossfiring, both cards spin up for POST, then one quietens to idle where the other one keeps spinning loudly until Windows kicks in, when that one too quietens to idle. When running either card alone, it quietens down during boot, it's only when I'm running the two together that the one in the second slot runs louder.

This may sound minor (and it is), but my motherboard gives the option of booting into a small, fast linux build instead of Windows if all you want to do is surf the web or skype - this isn't quite as nice when one graphics card is still spinning away loudly the whole time you're in ExpressGate!

I've checked the BIOS on both cards using ATI Bios Editor and both fan profiles are set the same.

If it helps, I'm running an Asus P5Q-E with a Q6600 (oc to 3.4GHz on 1.3v), 8Gb DDR2-1066, XFX 4870 1GB crossfiring with Sapphire 4870 512Mb, Hiper Type-M 880W PSU, 76Gb Raptor and 500Gb WD HDD, Zalman CNPS9900, Antec 900 case, Vista 64, and dual 20 inch 1600x1200 monitors.

Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2009 10:15:36 PM

Hmm. Both my 4770's spin at POST then quiet down. Have you tried switching slots with them?
May 21, 2009 10:43:56 PM

Thank you both for the replies.

I'll try switching the cards round tomorrow to see if it makes any difference. Other than that, it's nice to know this can happen with some models so (if swapping them doesn't fix it) I can accept and live with it.

Thanks again. :) 
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
May 22, 2009 5:36:43 AM

You do know that you get no benefit from the extra 512MB on the first card right? When running in crossfire the drivers treat both cards as though they have the same amount of RAM, and since the greatest amount of RAM they have in common is 512MB the drivers will treat it as though both cards have 512MB when in crossfire.

Anyway your issue could probably just the that you have two different cards and they have different BIOS settings. Alot of the Radeon cards that have a cooler other than the reference cooler may only run at one speed (like some ASUS cards or Gigabyte cards with the Zalman cooler).
May 22, 2009 9:06:20 AM

megamanx00 said:
You do know that you get no benefit from the extra 512MB on the first card right? When running in crossfire the drivers treat both cards as though they have the same amount of RAM, and since the greatest amount of RAM they have in common is 512MB the drivers will treat it as though both cards have 512MB when in crossfire.

Anyway your issue could probably just the that you have two different cards and they have different BIOS settings. Alot of the Radeon cards that have a cooler other than the reference cooler may only run at one speed (like some ASUS cards or Gigabyte cards with the Zalman cooler).

Yeah - knew I'd only be crossfiring with 512MB before I bought the second card. Bought the 512MB card before the 1GB was released, then recently bought a second and the 1GB was the same price as another 512MB. This way, if a game supports crossfire I get 512MB crossfired, if crossfire doesn't help (Crysis and GTA4, I'm looking at you!) then I can disable it and run the game with a single 1GB instead. Made sense to me!

Both cards have reference coolers, looked for that purposely as I didn't like the idea of the exhaust venting inside the case on most non-reference cooler designs. Gonna try swapping the cards round tonight as Jennyh suggested and see if that makes a difference. If not, may have to get further into BIOS amending! :) 
!