Paralysis by analysis- help me settle on i7 build

Chamois

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Hi everyone. I've spent the last 2 months researching, reading reviews, watching the forums, and making uncountable changes to my build plans. It's time to quit analyzing and make the purchase already. Now that I've mustered the courage to subject myself to ridicule, here goes...

I'm relatively computer savvy but have never built a system from scratch. (Plenty of component upgrades and OS reinstalls over the last 10 years though.)

Budget isn't an issue but I don't feel like I need to throw money away. $2000 was my original goal. I want the new rig to be future-resistant for at least a couple of years and don't mind making minor upgrades along the way.

Purpose for the build:

- Better gaming, I'm tired of getting 9 fps when airstrikes arrive in COD4 multiplayer (on my 5 year-old POS Dell w/ no PCI-E for GPU upgrade). I try to play COD5 as well as World in Conflict. I would be all over Flight Sim X and lots of the new games if my machine could play them.
-Medium music and video editing
-Heavy desktop work for business (medical imaging, payroll crunching, etc.)

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590, RC-590-KKN1-GP $64.99
Power: Silverstone ST70F 700 watt, ST70F $109.99 (after rebate)
MB: ASUS P6T $239.99
CPU: i7 920 $279.99
CPU cooler: Thermaltake 120 mm Hydro Dynamic, CLP0539 $49.99
Memory: OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, OCZ3X1333LV6GK ~$71 (after rebate)
HDD: WD Caviar Black 640 GB, WD6401AALS $74.99
DVD: Samsung Black 22x DVD+R, SH-S223F $24.99
GPU: EVGA GTX 275, 896-P3-1170-AR $249.99

Total = ~$1300.00

All prices are from today on Newegg. They seem to be as good a company as anyone and I'll order everything from one place. I'm replacing a 19" LCD monitor but will purchase it locally. Any opinions on a good 22" at hi-res?

Sorry for the long post- please let me know what you think. I'd rather not worry over changing parts to save $5 and I recognize that everyone has favorite brands, etc. I want to make a purchase asap and just need some validation that I've settled on decent items that will work well together. Otherwise I'll keep worrying that I'm missing something and be posting the same request next month, with no new computer in sight!

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.

Yeah, nothing there cries to be replaced.
You might save on the OS, if you can use your existing system to download the Windows7 RC on or after May 5th and burn that to DVD to install on your new system.

How did you analyze the CPU cooler choice? ;) Would be nice to see one independent review the verify the Thermaltake marketing spiel
But I can't fault the choice - simply because I don't know enough about that cooler.
For comparison: XIGMATEK Dark Knight spiel - XIGMATEK Dark Knight review

To be fair - we're at the nit-picking stage of your parts selection. What you've listed so far is an excellent match to your needs/wants in a new system. It certainly does a good job meeting your goals and at a very good price point to boot.

A couple monitor options: Samsung 23” 1080P 2333SW $169 or Dell 1080P S2409W 24" $199

Oppps...... just noticed the "purchase it locally" option for your monitor.
Probably be a good idea for you to list the options (make/model/price) you have available and let the forum residents rank the options for you.

Chamois

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Honestly, I settled on this cooler because of a combination of low cost and slightly smaller size/profile. I could easily be way off target- I've probably had 5 different options one that line of the build. Xigmatek, Vigor Monsoon, Noctua, etc. In the end I decided I wouldn't be a max-overclock user and I won't be running Prime95 for hours on end for benchmarking.

I probably had more heartburn over this component than any other. I've never installed an after-market cooler and am a little apprehensive. I figured a slightly smaller model would be easier to work with, even if it sacrificed some cooling capacity. I'd love to hear more opinions, particularly if you've worked with the P6T or the Cooler Master case. Thanks for the feedback.

You actually picked a slightly larger model. (and higher priced too)
Thermaltake CLP0539 126 x 71 x 161 mm
XIGMATEK Dark Knigh 120 x 50 x 159 mm

xigmatek_s1283v_16.jpg

XIGMATEK Dark Knight on an Asus Rampage II Extreme X-58 MB - a tougher challenge than the P6T.
Note the extra tall DDR3 RAM modules.

Chamois

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Thanks WR2, I'll order that Dark Knight model. I missed seeing the socket 1366 compatibility for some reason. I saw something with another Xigmatek model about an additional adapter bracket and didn't look closer I guess.