AMD 965 Black Edition, Best Cooler to hit 4gHz?

hcstnfrd

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
Hey, I've been looking to replace my AMD 965 stock heatsink. I want to get my processor up to 4gHz without hitting over 60C. I know Noctua and the like are highly recommended, but I'm really looking for something more...stylish? It's in an NZXT Phantom with all purple LED fans and these huge silver monstrosities are just scary.

I was thinking something like a Coolermaster V series? Maybe the Corsair H series? Or maybe the Tuniq Tower 120? Idk, I'm no good at this, if someone could point me in the proper direction.

Solution
The items you have mentioned are both water and air cooled. One way to help make decisions like this is to prioritize your preferences.
How much of a concern is:
noise
expense
fluid (they leak sometimes)
installation (might have to pull the motherboard)
moving (...don't want to bounce the system with a huge cooler attached)

Style? well, heat dissipation is directly related to size in a passive cooler, that's why they are so large. Some men like the bragging rights of showing their friends that theirs is bigger....
ahem...
nickel plating is important because of corrosion, more heat pipes equals more surface area to dissipate heat. If you want to OC your CPU to 4gHz, you may as well accept the size matters argument.
Cheers!

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
The items you have mentioned are both water and air cooled. One way to help make decisions like this is to prioritize your preferences.
How much of a concern is:
noise
expense
fluid (they leak sometimes)
installation (might have to pull the motherboard)
moving (...don't want to bounce the system with a huge cooler attached)

Style? well, heat dissipation is directly related to size in a passive cooler, that's why they are so large. Some men like the bragging rights of showing their friends that theirs is bigger....
ahem...
nickel plating is important because of corrosion, more heat pipes equals more surface area to dissipate heat. If you want to OC your CPU to 4gHz, you may as well accept the size matters argument.
Cheers!

Solution
Your question has many answer.

1- Hyper 212+ for $30 bucks can do that.
2- Thermalright Silver Arrow can hit the 4GHz too, but with much better temps that Hyper 212+
3- Forget the V8 or V10, both are crap cooler and very expensive.
4- H50 and H70 aren't good, even, air coolers performs better that both with less price.
5- What is your budget?

G

I really hate the integrated liquid cooling systems like the H50 and H70 as well as the ECO ALC, they are just a pain in the ass, an NH-D14 beats them, a thermal arrow does too.

So anyways just avoid that sort of garbage, if you want liquid cooling go for a full loop system.

Well you just blew the budget if you buy a D-14 and change the fans!
It's one of the best air coolers out there but totally unneccessary for your application.
Just choose a high end 160mm tall tower cooler like the ones i've mentioned.
Google reviews for them.

Download CPU-Z from here, run that program and look for the options that say "Stepping" and "Revision", if you see Stepping: 3 and Revision : RB-C3 you have a good CPU for get the 4GHz.

RussianJ

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
My 965 did 4ghz @61C max (22c ambient) on a 212+

Now on custom water, I push 4.2ghz 24/7 (40C) or 4.5 (46C, yep 1.1ghz overclock) for benchmarking.

Check out the brand new prolimatech, genesis. Looks like a V10 but keeps cooler and takes twin 14cm fans. Bit high priced but also cooler VRM/NB/ram.

Now if you are interested in going to water, look at a rasa kit. Very nice performance/cost ratio. That kit uses one of the best waterblocks on the market right now as well.