Video Card with HDMI & Coax I/O

Provob

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Hi,
My objective is to store all my DVD's from the DVD-Recorders(with HDD) & the DAT music tapes onto my computer HDD. I've got some flexibility because I'm in the process of getting a new computer. My thinking is with the HDMI port I should be able to record all my DVD's from the DVD Recorders HDD ----> computer HDD. Similarly using the Coax port I should be able to copy all the DAT tapes from the tapes ----> to my computer HDD. What's critical in the case of the DAT tapes is to preserve the track info. Because cutting CD's from DAT tapes is very simple due to the track info already on the DAT tape. Due to the sheer no. of the DAT tapes it's impractical to cut CD's onto CD-RW and then copy them onto the computer HDD using the CD drive on the computer. Similarly for the DVD's using DVD-RW's & using the DVD recorder on the computer to store them on the computer HDD. So want a card which can take input from DAT machine directly. And similarly for the DVD's, taking input from a DVD recorder directly.Question is : will one card do? Or do I need one Video card for the DVD Recorder & another one for the music DAT tapes? Also any ideas which card/cards are good & are compatible with existing computer OS's(preferable MS) and is workable? You know compatible device drivers etc. Trying to avoid problems with device drivers which don't work etc.Thanks in advance.
.tbfn
-provob

Solution
You wanted to transfer content already on your DVD-Recorder's HDD or DVDs? That might have been the part confusing me. If the content is already on the DVD-Recordes's HDD, maybe it would be simpler and faster to just open the thing and plug the HDD into your PC for direct HDD to HDD transfer if the storage format and codecs are compatible.

Can you tell us your DVD-Recorder's and DAT Tape reader's brand and model #. Maybe there is something very simple we might be overlooking like the possibility of USB transfer or something like that.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Not sure I got all of this correctly, you want to take all your DVDs and have them on your computer's HDD, is that right? If so, it is probably easier to just rip the DVDs directly to your PC using the PC's DVD player. By the way, no video/tuner/capture card I know of take HDMI input, they are all outputs so you cannot plug the HDMI output of your devices, plug it in your PC's HDMI ports and hope to transfer the content.

For the DAT tapes, I don't know much, can you tell me/us what outputs your DAT tape "player" has because "coax" is a really broad term, coax can be used for audio, video and networking so ...

Provob

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Hi Zenthar,
Thanks for your quick reply. What you say is right about the DVD's.That would be doable &
would work as well. I've done it myself. Transfer from DVD Recorder HDD ---> DVD-RW. Then use the DVD-RW into the computer DVD reader ---> computer HDD. The only problem is the sheer nos. If I spent 16 hrs a day transferring all my DVD's it would take me a year.Also I would lose resolution. Because when a film's(say) is recorded directly from say TV ---> DVD Recorder's HDD I store them in HQ resolution. If I cut DVD's from them I'd lose that resolution.Because no current DVD(even a Double layer say with 8.5GB) has got that much storage for a film(say) of 1.5 hrs.So I would be forced to cut DVD(say into a double layer) from the DVD Recorder's HDD at a lower resolution. That I would rather avoid if at all possible.But thanks for your point that no HDMI card accept input. What about Video card with SCART socket? Do they work/available? About DAT. It's a bit ancient. It's (D)igital (A)udio (T)ape.The recording is done at 96kHZ sampling rate in my case. Much better than CD sampling rate at 44.1kHZ. As I said, the coax that I talk about there is coax(BNC/RCA?) as used in (digital) audio amplifiers.It is a better substitute than optical(which is also digital) input.If I cut CD's from my DAT tape using a CD recorder(say) I can only use the sampling rate of 44.1KHz. Again as you see I'll lose sound quality. Not to mention again due to the sheer nos. 'twould take me years to transfer to the computer HDD. That's why I'm looking for a card/cards in my computer which will take direct output from both my DVD recorders & DAT tape recorders. Thanks again & good to talk to you. At least you've set me right on the impossiblity of using the HDMI port for input.
.tbfn
-provob

Provob

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Hi gamerk316,
Thanks for your prompt reply. I've already been educated that HDMI cards don't accept input only output.I.e. you can output using the HDMI port of a computer to the TV or DVD recorder only. So that is not an option for me! because I want transfer from the DVD Recorder's HDD ---> computer HDD. Just to find an alternative. What about SCART sockets. Are there Video cards which have SCART sockets? The HDMI I/O ASUS HDAV 1.3 - does that accept input? Thanks again.
.tbfn
-provob

Zenthar

Distinguished
You wanted to transfer content already on your DVD-Recorder's HDD or DVDs? That might have been the part confusing me. If the content is already on the DVD-Recordes's HDD, maybe it would be simpler and faster to just open the thing and plug the HDD into your PC for direct HDD to HDD transfer if the storage format and codecs are compatible.

Can you tell us your DVD-Recorder's and DAT Tape reader's brand and model #. Maybe there is something very simple we might be overlooking like the possibility of USB transfer or something like that.

Solution

Provob

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Hi Zenthar,
I thought that I replied to you! Anyway, I have Sony DVD Recorders(RDR-HX510/910/1070 all with HDD) & Sony DAT Recorders (DTC- ZE700). Thanks again for your interest.
.tbfn
-provob