Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Temps

Last response: in Overclocking
February 14, 2011 12:30:58 PM

Im running Prime95 for almost an hour now and the max temp on my cpu is 53c-55c...

Idle temps is around 26c-29c...

Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640
HSF: OCZ Vendetta 2
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H (rev 1.4)
RAM: 2x2GB Kingston DDR3 PC-10600
Chassis: Silverstone Precision 5 PS05B-W (2 intake/1 exhaust)
GPU: N/A (currently using IGP)
PSU: FSP Supersonic 500W 80+

Anyway, Im from the Philippines and ambient temps here is around 29c-32c depending on the weather.

Are the temps normal? Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

More about : amd athlon 640 temps

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2011 10:03:19 PM

Considering how high your ambient temperature is, and how high your CPU voltage is, you are not far from expectations.
I wonder why you picked the OCZ Vendetta 2? It is a good cooler, but notoriously difficult to mount....
Anyway, I doubt that is the problem.
I would question the use of 2 intakes and one exhaust fan with a setup like that. Can you change your fans so that you have two exhausts? The intake will take care of itself.
It is stunning that your cores are all at the same temp! Usually there is at least a degree or two of difference. That is strange....
m
l
February 14, 2011 10:57:28 PM

Noworldorder said:
Considering how high your ambient temperature is, and how high your CPU voltage is, you are not far from expectations.
I wonder why you picked the OCZ Vendetta 2? It is a good cooler, but notoriously difficult to mount....
Anyway, I doubt that is the problem.
I would question the use of 2 intakes and one exhaust fan with a setup like that. Can you change your fans so that you have two exhausts? The intake will take care of itself.
It is stunning that your cores are all at the same temp! Usually there is at least a degree or two of difference. That is strange....

Regarding the cooler, I mounted it before I inserted the motherboard into the chassis. I think its impossible to mount it if the motherboard is already inside the case.

For the Intake/Exhaust, Im still planning to get 2 more exhaust fans and place them at the top if I have the money to spend.

And for the CPU Temp difference on each core, yes, they have differences sometimes. Like 2 cores on 27c and the other 2 are on 26c.

Highest difference I've seen on them is only 1c. :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2011 12:28:40 AM

changwafu said:
Regarding the cooler, I mounted it before I inserted the motherboard into the chassis. I think its impossible to mount it if the motherboard is already inside the case.

1898533,3,825264 said:
For the Intake/Exhaust, Im still planning to get 2 more exhaust fans and place them at the top if I have the money to spend.
said:
An excellent idea. I'm betting your CPU temps will not drop more than 5°C even so, it's just that I have never been a fan of positive pressure cases in tropical moisture. That stuff works great in Minnesota or Maine, but with 32°C ambient - your system needs to have the heat sucked out.

changwafu said:
Highest difference I've seen on them is only 1c. :) 
Impressive! You must be good at applying paste.
m
l
February 15, 2011 3:15:58 AM

Yeah, I just read about Negative/Positive types. And I think I'd go for the Negative one.

LOL. That was my first time applying paste. And I used the stock silicon paste that came w/ the cooler. Is that ok? Or do you suggest getting a Tunic TX4?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2011 9:43:23 PM

Any quality paste will deliver fine results....if applied thinly. People paying more than $10 for paste are nuts. If I vend a quality $25 paste, idiots will flock to it and swear it lowered their temps by 5 degrees.
Personally, I like Noctua. But, I have read good stuff about Zalman, Zero-therm, Arctic cooling, and so on.
I just don't believe that Tuniq TX-2 is any worse than than their TX-4. The only comparison I have seen is them against....themselves.
m
l
May 4, 2011 8:58:52 PM

I have the same CPU, and been running handbrake, converting a 6gb .mkv video to mp4, and the CPU is only 41C/107F 51C/123F

I have a cheap $10 kingwin xt 1264 quad copper heatpipe 120mm.

I have the fan on 5 volt, completely silent.

Perhaps your thermal paste wasn't applied correctly, or the HSF doesn't have copper, or the heatpipes don't directly contact the CPU.

Edit: just looked your cooler up. Perhaps the extra heatpipe makes a big difference. I have 4, you have 3.
m
l
!