Has Tom's Hardware failed to review Nvidia cards ?

yanival

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I'm always using Tom's Hardware reviews before buying new hardware. Always trusted their impression. This is why I was so surprised to encounter a huge flow in latest generations of Nvidia cards/drivers - a problem that exists for more than a year, and has troubled tens of thousands of Nvidia customers, but was never mentioned in Tom's Hardware (or did I miss it) ?

The problem relate to a feature called "Full Screen Video Mirroring" that enables viewing of video on a TV that is connected to the GPU card. This is a basic feature that was available for many years, and has become a standard on all GPU cards. For many users this feature is the only reason for buying a GPU on the first place. However, Nvidia have decided to cancel this option on all of their cards from the 8 series and on. The feature is also disabled for older cards if a new driver is being used. This is Nvidia's response for downgrading their GPU cards:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...TEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD04ODAw&p_li=&p_topview=1

If you are looking for more information, then google "modify full-screen video options".

This feature was never canceled in ATI cards. How came that Tom's Hardware forgot to mention this important downgrade on their reviews ? How come they don't mention it on every comparison between Nvidia cards and ATI cards ?