Overclocking i5-760 to 4Ghz

Hi guys, i have an i5-760 and i'm wanting to overclock to 4Ghz, my PC is as follows:

Intel Core i5-760 @ Stock
Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600Mhz
ASRock P55 Deluxe
Antec 902 (With all fans except the 'middle' one inside the case)
Palit GTX 760 (Planning to run 2 in SLI eventually)
XFX 750W PSU

For a reference point, I had the CPU clocked at 3.6Ghz with stock cooling for a few weeks and it peaked at around 70 on stress. So the case cooling is pretty decent and the GTX 460 doesn't generate a huge amount of heat (2 might?), ambient temps are never too high here in sunny England either. :p

So, any recommendations on a cooler to get to 4Ghz and still stay under 65 on a stress test? (while fitting that case and not blocking anything.)

Also, any guidance in the overclocking process would be much appreciated, ie. anyone at 4Ghz with this CPU let me know what voltages youre at? :)

Thanks guys!

Also the heat to speed ratio isn't linear, my i5 750 is a tad over 70C at 4ghz, and I hit around 80C at 4.13ghz.

For voltages you definitely just have to find out for yourself but it'll probably be around 1.32V vcore and 1.22 Vtt/IMC. Of course there's a lot of play in there but just as a very vague guideline that's probably around what you'll be looking at.

There's plenty of good coolers out there. I suggest one that you like because of the side window. I have the same case. I bought the Zalman CNPS10X Extreme and it does a great job. But, I maybe would have got the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme instead if it was available here (at a local store). But yeah, there's so many out there. Just look at some sites like frostytech.com.

Thanks for the replies guys, i realise that heat:speed isn't linear, i just thought the info might help. Also i think it's gonna be months before i get my second GPU. I realise also that i need to OC myself to find out the Voltages i need, just thought some rough ideas would help me as i havent done much OC'ing. I started this thread more to get ideas for a decent cooler than for OC'ing tips. Just to narrow that down slightly, i like to buy my stuff from here, anyone recommend any of these? http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Fans%2C+Heatsinks%2C+Coolers/CPU+Coolers/?x=12&p_order=price_asc&p=cF9zdHlsZT0mcF9wcm9kdWN0c1BlclBhZ2U9Jg==

I'm tempted to go all out and get that Noctua NH-D14 if it fits in my case but one of the things stopping me is the fact that it might not fit on my next mobo, can anyone say how likely it is that it will fit on another mobo in like 4 years? ie. What has the pattern been up to now?

game master

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
i also have a core i5-760 i run it on 4013Mhz , multiplier x20 , core voltage 1.256 ,bus speed 200 , i have a water cooling system with 2 fans and active cooling idle 29C stress avar . 45C ( max50 ) and i have a Asus P7P55D-deluxe mainbord P55 chipset , this is a very good cpu to overclock but watch your temp. carefuly and my advice never go above 60 C , (after that it goes fast upwards) and you dont want to cook the cpu ;))

grtzz ( sorry for my spelling lol im from holland ;) ))

Crispiburguer

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Crispiburguer3.jpg

This is my stable config...

And it's my cooling configuracion at this moment...
22032011001.jpg

I'm building this
Final1.jpg

I want to put the 760's to 5,2 Ghz... i'm not sure if it's possible...

Bye

schmuckley

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 18, 2011
Probably looking @ 1.38-1.42v on core ..will probably be @ max temps there..
1.35-1.4 on qpi er watever..
drop the qpi down a notch..
fsb around 190-200..
One of the most important things when OCing 1156 is to slop up the secondary timings a notch.
Some chips may not like over 3.8 stable.
Miahalen's is the best guide for 1156: http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/intel-core-i3-i5-and-i7-buyers-guide/

Wolfspawn89

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I might be wrong but after extensive testing it seems that having more VRM's help with OC'ing. I might be lucky but I drive my 4Ghz 760 on 1.264v Vcore and 1.13125v on QPI/IMC. Without LLC activated it gets unstable though. So at high clocks LLC help with the fluctuation a bit.