Choosing MB for OC'ing 2500K

Hello there

Im about to buy a new computer for gaming and a little video editing.

Im considering a system with a i5-2500K CPU which im obviously are going to overclock. The system comes with a Asrock H67M-GE as default. Should i upgrade that to a P67 PRO3 instead?

I also have the option of choosing between a HD 6850 or GTX 460 GPU. Which one would you recommend?
10 answers Last reply
More about choosing 2500k
  1. yeah you need a P67 mobo to OC the K CPUs. you cant OC with H67. if the GTX 460 is a 1gb version then i would choose that one.
  2. The ASRock P67 Pro3 is an excellent choice. I've got my 2500K at 4.8GHz on that board.

For graphics, I'd go with the GTX 460.
  3. Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

If you have the money, go with an ASUS P8P67 Pro or Gigabyte P67A-UD4. GTX 460 for GPU if you can't afford the GTX 560 Ti.
  4. Consider the Intel BOXBG P67 motherboard, that one overclocks like hell! I have managed to get my 2500K up to 5Ghz with an MSI P67a-GD65.
  5. The potential overclock of the Sandy Bridge unlocked cpus will not depend on what mobo you chose. It will depend on how lucky you are on the specific cpu you got. Go to these site.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/01/03/intel_sandy_bridge_2600k_2500k_processors_review/2
  6. None the less it is far easier to OC from the Asus bios, and the h67 mobos cannot overclock at all, so atleast a P67 mobo is required.

As stated earlier I would suggest an Asus P8P67 PRO.
  7. Wampbit said:
    None the less it is far easier to OC from the Asus bios, and the h67 mobos cannot overclock at all, so atleast a P67 mobo is required.

As stated earlier I would suggest an Asus P8P67 PRO.

Unlocked Sandy Bridge Cpus = P67 = It's a given if your an OC'er!
  8. And I think he's being sold, a p67 build that have the SATA II problem! He should ask for a discount!
  9. i would get the gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 its good for overclocking
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking