Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gigabyte P4 Titan 8PENXP i865PE not video output HELP

Last response: in Motherboards
October 20, 2009 4:12:43 AM

I have a Gigabyte P4 Titan 8PENXP i865PE motherboard with a p4 cpu installed in it and 1 gb of ram. My problem is that it is unable to output video. I have already tried putting new ram in, a new video card, and a new power supply. I don't know what to try next. Could the mother board be bad, the system does seem to boot up I can hear the hard drive booting up. Please note that upon start up I do not hear any beeps that would signify an error code.

What should I do next??

Thanks in advance
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2009 7:46:43 AM

This is pretty old motherboard. Did you really buy "new" RAM and AGP card for it? I assume it's working equipment from another system.

Does it seem to boot with the old items in it? Did anything happen to the computer - electrical shock, smoke, smokie smells, etc...

This motherboard is over 6 yrs old, it's quite reasonable for it to fail at this point.
m
l
October 20, 2009 12:35:25 PM

I was using the computer and the screen just went blank, but the computer was still on. And yes the parts are not new, but were taken from a working computer.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 20, 2009 1:16:30 PM

Do you have a 'case speaker'? If you haven't got one - get one!
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html
A lot of people operate under the misaprehension that the 'diagnostic beeps' should come through the speakers attached to their sound-card/chip - not so! Your three hundred dollar Altec-Lansings won't do you any good here - you have to have a case speaker attached to the front panel header, and, often by this point, it's the only diagnostic info you'll have to go on...
m
l
October 20, 2009 3:29:56 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I have verified that there is a case speaker attached to the motherboard and still get no beeps. I even tried disconnecting the hard drives and cd drives, even pulling out the ram and pci/agp cards still no beeps. The cpu fan does spin when the power button is pushed though. Any ideas?
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2009 5:58:47 PM

Well, you've done the normal swapping out that I would recommend at this point. Bascially you're down to the fault lying in the motherboard or the CPU. And I worry about trying to remove a CPU and fan this old from one system, just to try it in another old system.

I would recommend at this point that you consider replacing the major components. This may include more than the motherboard and CPU, unless you have a lot of old parts around. Normally you'd look at also getting new RAM as the old RAM either won't work on the new computer or will be very slow on it. In addition, your video card may be an older design like AGP. In addition, newer motherboards like more power, so you may need a newer power supply.

This is what I faced a couple of months ago and I bought the parts you see in my signature - a new Gigabyte motherboard w/built-in video, new CPU, new RAM and a new power supply.

October 20, 2009 6:49:02 PM

Thanks everyone for the quick replies now I just gotta decide if it is worth replacing the motherboard and / or cpu on an older computer. It has a 2.4 p4 cpu in it.
m
l
!