sdgator

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Hi everyone, I am building a new computer specifically for fulltime stock/futures trading. My 2 main priorities are reliability and speed. Currently using a Xeon based 32-bit system, that seems like it lags when I have a lot of programs running (traing platform, charting software, chat rooms, firefox, etc.). I would need it to power 4 monitors (2x30" and 2x24"). I have a spare 74gb raptor at home so I was thinking of buying another and running it in RAID 0. Also, I would like to upgrade to a 64-bit OS to take advantage of extra memory? Should I go with an i7 build or Core 2 Quad?

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Core i7 bud! You can't go wrong with those CPU's. 64-bit OS is fun times!! Just remember that 32-bit is more compatible with programs ^_^

+1 for the core i7...And like Kill@dor said the 32 bit OS is more compatible with apps...So make sure that your trading app is compatible with the 64 bit OS...If so then change the OS to 64 bit and Yes they would take advantage of 4GB and above RAMs...
As for the display output, get 2 cheap graphics card with 2 DVI outputs and don't connect them together...just insert them in the pcie slots - If you go with i7, then all of the motherboards have dual or triple pcie slots...and connect the 4 monitors to it via the DVI outputs...
Few cheap graphics card options...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102726
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150332

sdgator

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I have a co-worker using Vista 64-bit with the same programs I use with no problems so I'll probably go with that. Gkay, I noticed the first card you posted uses GDDR2 memory. Would that pose a problem with the i7 build? Do I need DDR3 or does it really matter for the video card? I know I need DDR3 for the system RAM. Thanks...

sdgator

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Okay, looks like a good setup to me. You think there would be any noticeable difference between that card and the 1GB version? Also, any MB's you prefer? I recently built and i7 system at home with an EVGA MB thats worked well but I'm running a GTX 260 in it? I've heard good things about ASUS and Gigabyte as well...

Well for your use, you wont notice much difference between a 1GB or 512MB card...
As both the graphics chipsets wont be able to utilize the whole 1GB...
Go with any of the card you want...
As for the mobo, the EVGA is a very good board...And yes the Gigabyte and the ASUS are also very good value boards...Get the ASUS P6T board...they offer good features for comparatively lower price than the EVGA...