Usb printer driver fault

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hello,
I am trying to install a usb printer onto my daughters laptop. i have used the instalation disc, it appears to be fine but the printer is not shown in control panel. Every time i plug the usb in i get the 'found new hardware' 'installing drivers' 'your device is ready to use' bubbles - but it is still not there!!
The printer is a Cannon MP280 scanner/printer - the scanner works fine!
I have also tried an HP printer with exactly the same problem.
The usb's are okay as camera and external harddrives work fine.
I read that sometimes XP can have security issues with printers, we have updated to SP3.
Using Add New Hardware in control panel says to 'chose port' but none are shown.
We have also deleted the drivers, restart and re-insall (several times).
It seems to me that a check box deep inside windows needs changing - some setting somewhere is wrong.
An IT friend says that we have a virus, but a scan with kaspersky shows clean
Thank you for any help you can give.

Use "add printer" instead of "Add new hardware." Choose the port in the add printer, choose port page..

Start>Control Panel>Printers and Faxes>Add printer.

If your printer is already showing....

Right-Click your printer, select Properties, then click the Ports tab and choose your port.

Printer-Ports.jpg

One more thing about the picture below... make sure "Always available" is ticked.
Advanced-Printer.jpg

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
thanks for the two comments above - the printer does not work on my other daughters identical machine, but it does work on my wifes laptop (also running XP)

I have tried installing a new printer, it cannot find it and when asking to manually select port none are shown.
thanks
Pat

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
sorry for taking so long getting back, i have been following another thread.
Adding a new printer doesn't work - i get the found new hardware and installed correctly bubbles but windows says it cannot find a plug and play printer. It then asks to select a port but none are listed
thanks, Pat